Newspaper articles in other languages?

Isidore Itzkowitz

Isidore Itzkowitz

Are there any articles of the sinking, from 1912, in languages other than English?

I have often heard people say how the sinking of the Titanic "shocked the world," but I have yet to actually see archived newspaper articles from countries other than the US or the UK. I do not doubt that they exist, but I would like to see and read them for myself, preferably in their original languages.

-Isidore

Encyclopedia Titanica

Encyclopedia Titanica

Philip Hind
Staff member
Yes there will be many but English language papers tend to be more available online… French ones are not too bad… there are some German language American papers on the library of congress site.. what languages would you be interested in?

G

giovanna57

Are there any articles of the sinking, from 1912, in languages other than English?

I have often heard people say how the sinking of the Titanic "shocked the world," but I have yet to actually see archived newspaper articles from countries other than the US or the UK. I do not doubt that they exist, but I would like to see and read them for myself, preferably in their original languages.

-Isidore
Ciao, these are Italian magazines:

Magnar Vikoeren

Magnar Vikoeren

Plenty of papers to choose from in Norway via the Norwegian national library. 711 hits on Titanic just for April 1912. Nasjonalbiblioteket

Reactions: Seumas
S

Sarah S

I have always wondered the same.
As a lebanese person myself, I have always been kind of annoyed with the lack of media coverage my country has given the titanic disaster, considering that a good chunk of its passengers were in fact from Lebanon who wanted to migrate to USA! I am not too familiar with the historic circumstances in lebanon/syria in 1912 and if there are still descendants living in Lebanon who may have preserved letters and photographs from their relatives that traveled on the Titanic, let alone if lebanese newspapers have been stored from that time. If I ever got the chance to travel and spend time in Lebanon, I’d love to research into this… but given the current state of the country, I am not too hopeful if things like that have been saved at all..

Isidore Itzkowitz

Isidore Itzkowitz

I have managed to find Finland's newspaper archive with tons of articles about Titanic online. I will later try to find different archives by googling "newspaper archive" in the desired language. Sara, maybe searching that way could help you find something?

One of the articles I found from May 10th has an interview from a Finnish survivor, Maria Backström. Reading the article is both fascinating and quite amusing, because of the unlikely stories she told the interviewer. She said such things as: people jumping off the ship immediately after it hit the iceberg, three lifeboats sinking because of missing plugs, men who jumped into the lifeboats being thrown into the ocean to die, and only 6 to 8 lifeboats making it to the Carpathia to be rescued, others "of course swallowed by the Atlantic."

Reactions: Sarah S