Newspapers

G

glen r woods

I have a Boston Globe dated April 17,1912. It contains several articles on the Titanic, the Carpathia, and the survivors.
I am interested in its value, and if anyone is interested in purchasing said paper.
It has a little water damage, but not to any of the articles. It was in an abandoned house, so it is slightly brittle and yellowed, but all is perfectly readable, and I believe the paper is complete.
You may contact me at:
heavenminded@yahoo.com with any information or interest.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Hi, Glen,
I wouldn't get too excited about finding that Boston Globe if I were you. Not yet, anyway. You see, the publishers reprinted thousands of copies after the '97 movie was released, so they're everywhere, and there's been plenty of time for them to fade to yellow and become brittle. My own copy is aging and I have it protected. But there is a way to tell if you have the real deal or not. Check the page numbers. If they are in sequence, 1-2-3-4, etc., then you might have the real thing after all! If you do, get it to a professional for mounting in an acid free environment to make it last longer. However, if the pages jump to 1-2-3-4-5-12, then another final headline begins, it's a reprint. Besides the Boston Globe, other newspapers also sell reprints: The New-York Tribune, St. Louis Post Dispatch, and the New York American. I would be interested if others are available, and where to obtain them for my school exhibitions. Let me know if you have the real deal and we'll tell you what steps to take if you want to sell it. Don't do like the idiots on e-Bay and overprice it, thinking you can retire on the proceeds. We'll give you the best information on where to get the best and truest estimates.

Regards,
Kyrila Scully

G

glen r woods

Kyrila,
Let me answer your question from your e-mail- yes, I am a Christian. I am interested in selling the paper to help fund my schooling for my degree in theology. I am studying for full time ministry. Kind of late in life, as I am in my forties, but God calls who He will when He will.
O.K., subject at hand- yes, the newspaper is original. As I stated, I found it in an abandoned house, which has been empty since the early 1950's, and I also found a lot of other papers, dating as far back as 1850, along with personal letters from the early 1800's to the late 1940's.
I am not interested in getting rich, only getting a little help with my school payments. Any little bit helps, so any help with value, and possible sale will be greatly appreciated.
By the way, you have a very unusual name. What country does that name originate from? I rather like it. It's lovely.
Thank-you again. I look forward to any help I will receive.

I remain ever yours,

G

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Okay, contact a reputable auction house, like Sotheby's or Christie's, and see if they're interested in auctioning all of your papers. Next, go to a place that specializes in memorabilia and ask them to provide written appraisals for "insurance purposes only." Otherwise they will seriously low ball you. Once you have that in hand, you might choose to sell on e-Bay or Amazon, or a nationally known auction house with a website. Then best of luck in your endeavors. I'd be interested in hearing how it goes. Feel free to write to me at my private e-mail address.
BTW, my name is derived from my father's name, "Cyril". It's pronounced KREE-lah. I understand it's common in some formerly Communist countries. Would be curious to know where, if anyone has info.
Kyrila

G

glen r woods

Kyrila,
Thank-you. You have been more than helpful. If anyone else has any input, please feel free to write.

I remain ever yours,

G

R

Ralph Joseph Cook Jr.

Glen,
You might try Henry Aldridge & Son The Devizes Auctioneers in England. I really don't know if they can help you, but they know who collects Titanic stuff.
Ralph

Nov 12, 2000
Hi all,
someone is in contact with me who has an original April 16th. 1912 copy of the New York Times in near mint condition and was wondering about value. I have no experience with newspapers. I saw that another copy of the New York Times for April 16th recently sold for over $1,000 on eBay. that seems awefully high to me. is this typical?

anyone who is familiar with newspaper values out there who can give me some advice?

thanks! Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Feb 14, 2011
It depends on the condition- and with the New York times issue, make sure its the real McCoy. The average value of your basic Boston or St Paul Titanic headlines (as an example) is in the $150- $300 range. For the NY Times issue, being the most famous issue of all, $1000 is high, but not surprising.If its the original issue, and intact, $1000 would be a fair price. Its sold at auction for thrice that ammount, and more. If you want a newspaper that best captured the story, that was the most famous headline. Make sure its real though- ive seen reprints of the NY Times and Boston Globe Titanic issues being sold on Ebay as the real McCoy....

Good luck

Peace

Tarn Stephanos

Steven Casey

Oct 26, 2011
The Deathless Story of The 'Titanic'. Original publication. 1st & last page missing. Can anyone tell me the publishers. Very delicate condition.
MAHOOD. Deceased. Obviously published days after The Requiem Mass at Westminster Cathedral as picture shows on page 37.

Nov 12, 2000
thanks Tarn. it occurred to me as well that it could possibly be a reprint, but apparently the owner doesn't think so. I will pass your suggestions on to the person who has this newspaper. if they do indeed have the real thing, sounds like they have something quite nice on their hands.

Steve, Deathless was originally done in 1912 by Lloyd's Weekly News, London. it has been reprinted several times since then in facsimile editions.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Steven Casey

Oct 26, 2011
To Michael(TheManInBlac k)
Thanks, this is an original 'Deathless'
What date the original print?
I will try Internet with Lloyd's.
Thank you once again.

Steven Casey

Oct 26, 2011
Hello all, back again.
Does anyone have the front and back page available from Lloyd's Weekly News circa 1912. I had no luck whatsoever with Lloyds.com. Even a facsimile would suffice, I could then start and finish my project.
In anticipation.
Thanks.
Steve.

Feb 14, 2011
Advice if you aquire a rare Titanic newspaper- I say put the whole thing in a non glare frame, out of the sun, with acid free backing. Much better to have it on your wall than in your shelf...

Tarn Stephanos

Feb 14, 2011
Anyone know of the rarity of that newspaper, whose cover appeared on the cover of the hardback illustrated edition of A Night To Remember? I always thought that painting of the ship, with her funnel falling over , was most haunting.

regards

tarn Stephanos

Jul 9, 2002
Hello all!
I have in my personal collection an original copy of the New York times in questions that my Great-Great Grandmother had kept as she knew the historical importance of the tradgedy. Once my interest in the ship grew to it's current level (which is fanatical) she gave the paper to me as a gift. She had kept it safe and secure all of the days of her life and it was presented to me in a museum quality case that keeps it safe, dry and free from all the elements. I have had it appraised at a few different places and have been offered up to $3,500 dollars for it from a collector. I also took it to the infamous "Antiques Roadshow" and it was apraised there at approx: $1,500. (An interesting number indeed!) So, $1,000 does seem high but if the paper is indeed original and in good condition, not unusual. As Tarn said, be sure to keep it safe and acid free! On the Wall IS much better!

Cheers,
Ryan

Nov 12, 2000
Hi all,
on a few threads in the past, several have mentioned advising caution when buying newspapers with the Titanic disaster on the front page, as many of these have been reprinted as modern facsimiles. does anyone know how to identify the modern reprints?

a friend of mine has a St. Louis Post-Dispatch, tuesday, April 16, 1912, Home edition. the paper itself looks old, but has none of the yellowing and toning I would expect from 1912 newsprint, which then, as now, has always been cheap paper.

there are what appears to be the first two sections of the paper, from pages 1 to 28. there does not appear to be any modern copyright data anywhere that I can see. there is, however, the word "reissue" in the header bar, just below the paper's name at the top of the page. the word "reissue" is in a different, heavier font than the rest of the text on that line.

any suggestions on how I can determine for sure if this is a reprint or not?

as always, thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Aug 6, 2001
Hi there! I bought, during a trip to England in 1999, a commemorative reprint of the Daily Telegraph of 16 April 1912, very interesting, and only for 4.99 pounds. Well, It`s only a reprint, but looks very the same like a real 1912 edition. Very happy to have bought it.

Mar 15, 2001
Today at an antique shop I came across a stack of old newspapers from various years and several newspapers from May 1912 got my attention. There was an article that had a small headline that read "Unsinkable Ships" and went on to say how the Titanic had been said to be practically unsinkable. There was also a small piece in another section talking about Taft and the reason Archibald Butt was in Italy. A couple of years ago I would have snapped these newspapers up in a minute. However, I just haven't been purchasing Titanic memorabilia lately because honestly, I just don't have the room for more than I already have. Did I make a mistake for not buying these newspapers with the articles? Do they have much of a value to them? Should I go back and get them?