Newspapers

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I might add that the reprint contains far more Titanic information than the real 16 April edition. It has Titanic stories from five or six editions, including those covering the arrival of Carpathia.

Feb 15, 2010
hi there im not sure if i have an original 1912 titanic newspaper......its 16 pages and has the extended G,smudge in bottom left hand corner and is dates tuesday april 16 1912! the number of the news paper is 2,645.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
I'm suspicious about the 24 pages. TNYT was huge paper in 1912 and I'd expect more.

Having missed this comment when it was posted months ago, I belatedly report that NYT's 16 April 1912 edition was 24 pages. That was about par for the course in those days; the previous weekday edition (13 April) was 22 pages and all of the weekday papers the week of 16 April were 24 pages.

Renee Clark

Oct 11, 2010
Hello to anyone who can help. I also have a Globe report, acquired some time ago. I followed Kyrila's advice above and it does jump to p. 12 on the second section headline. However, it does not have any page numbers at all except p. 2 in each section. Some years back I sent this to someone who had it the paper content checked at a university in Canada. Since it did not say REPRO on it like the ones you see on ebay and the paper looked old, he wanted to check it out. The results were inconclusive. They thought it may have been a very early reproduction based on the kind of paper. Could not be sure if it dated to 1912. My question is how many times was this reproduced and does anyone have any information as to the earliest reproduction? There are some places where the ink looks 'smeary' or darker. If it is an older repro, what would be a fair price to ask. Condition good. Front yellowing. Creased where folded. Thanks you all for your help.
Renee

Jan Baer

Jan 10, 2015
My copy is a printer's proof of the first page of the New York Times. My grandfather worked for the paper from the 1940's to the 1970's and had a collection of printer's proofs of first pages, including the Great Chicago Fire, Custer's Last Stand, the Titanic Sinking, the start and end of WWI, the end of Prohibition, Lindbergh's flight. They were kept rolled up. I now have them stored in a drawer.

Ken Elliott

Jun 2, 2017
Hi
I have been given a 1912 Daily Telegraph. Dated Tuesday April 16, 1912.

It has 20 pages. It has the small torn holes along the bottom of the pages. It appears old. What concerns me is that the outer edge of the pages is lighter.

I know that reprints were made of this. I wondered if anyone knew of a way to confirm that this is an original?

Thanks, Ken

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Looks genuine, however it does appear (from the photos) to be in extremely good condition for it being 100+ years old!

Maybe ask an antique or art expert?

Ken Elliott

Jun 2, 2017
Is appears to be very good except for the fading on the front cover. So say it was from a house clearance.

A

Aaron_2016

I used to own newspapers from 1912 - 1936. Sold them all to a collector. I had to be extra careful with the older newspapers as the paper would flake when I turned the pages and rip very easily as their condition was fragile. They all had a yellow tint. Usually there would be a red tint in the paper where the ink was mostly concentrated. I noticed this mostly in 1930's newspapers. Must have been connected with the quality of paper they used in those days or the ink turning the paper red, but for the most part the pages were yellow. I used to own sheet music that had been preserved for decades by a previous owner and the pages were almost white, but sometimes with a greenish tint. I think it really depends on the ink and the choice of paper that the publishers had used and also how dedicated the previous owners were in preserving the newspapers. e.g. If they had been folded for a considerable time, then the creases and fragile condition of the newspaper would make it tear very easy. The first time I opened a Lusitania newspaper I almost tore the front page in half.

Here is a musical video I made using a 1915 newspaper I once had.

In this 1928 magazine I once had the paper had aged yellow but also had a more noticeable red tint within the pages.

I should note, safety wise it is best to wash your hands before and after reading old newspapers. I don't know what chemicals are in them, but the material sometimes makes my fingers itchy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Out of curiosity, Aaron 2016, how much did the collection go for?

While not lucky to own any 1912 newspapers, I still fortunately to have been given a newspaper from a friend when the wreck and some artefacts were discovered in 1985. It's funny how optimistic the diagrams were at thinking how well persevered the wreck would be. Davits, and benches still intact with just a few dents and gashes here and there.

A

Aaron_2016

Had about 15 pre-war newspapers. Sold them to a local collector who was moving down south (south of Ireland) for £140. The Titanic newspaper from April 20th 1912 sold for £70 and the Lusitania newspaper for £40 and the rest for around £30. This was years before the Titanic centenary. I think if I held onto them and sold them in 2012 to international buyers I might have fetched a bit more.

Reactions: 1 user
Mar 18, 2008
Germany
I have many original 1912 newspapers and also others. It mainly depends on the paper quality used back then. Mainly the daily newspapers had a different paper which becomes over the years very fragile while mainly weekly or illustrated newspapers (and magazines) are in a much better condition.

From the printing quality visible in the two photos (post #3) it looks exactly the same way as the reprinted version of the Daily Telegraph.

Jul 2, 2017
I have found four issues of The Daily Mail all with headlines regarding the Titanic, from my great great grandmother's belongings.
All are in good condition, just yellowed from age, and are 8 pages long.

How do I go about authenticating them? Is it worth selling them? How should I look after them?

The newspaper issues I have are:

No. 2645 - Tuesday April 16, 1912
No. 2646 - April 17, 1912
No. 2648 - April 19, 1912
No. 2649 - April 20, 1912

Any pictures or details regarding the newspapers can be given upon request.
Any general advice, help or research will be greatly appreciated.

See images below:

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1425.JPG

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Hello, sorry to say that all 4 newspapers are reprints.
The ones from April 17, 19 & 20 April are reprints from 1998.
The one from April 16 looks like the reprint from the 1970s.