Nichols' six: WHO were they?

vonfrieddorf

Jun 10, 2016
OK, back to your original post from Thursday:

"What I want to know is, is there any information anywhere about the possible identities of any of the six sailors that Nichols took with him below decks? As far as I know, no surviving crew member came forward to claim that he was one of those six and so they must all have perished in the disaster one way or another. If that was indeed the case, it lends weight (but not proof) that Nichols and his men were caught out by the rising water levels while trying to open the gangway door. But looking at it another way, it might be the fact that none of those six sailors survived to tell the tale that prompted researching Titanic writers to assume that they had all died with Nichols during that ill-fated attempt to open a gangway door."

So let's see if I understand you correctly; since Thursday, you have decided it is more likely that Nichols and his six seamen were not trapped below, but either returned to the deck or never went below at all - and all died while performing other tasks above decks? In that case, I would return to the original list of nine lost seamen as potential candidates, since none of the surviving seamen mention having been involved in such as assignment.

Here's another avenue of research to explore: Other than Fireman Doel's account mentioning Matherson, are there any surviving accounts mentioning the activities of those nine men during the sinking? That might be telling.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
So let's see if I understand you correctly; since Thursday, you have decided it is more likely that Nichols and his six seamen were not trapped below, but either returned to the deck or never went below at all - and all died while performing other tasks above decks? .
Your right in a sense but not just since Thursday. Since none of us will ever know for certain, we all have to make educated guesses which will not be exactly similar. I personally have believed for a while that Lightoller did give that order and Nichols and his men did do an exploratory trip below decks to check out the possibility of carrying it out. But for one reason or another - most likely due to the impracticality of that order - they did not carry it out and returned above decks. I do not believe that they were trapped and died below. If you look at several older posts about gangway doors etc, I have made my impressions clear.

But the reason that I phrased my original post from this thread that way is because I know that other members think differently about that incident and I did not want to ruffle any feathers and start another argument. All I wanted to know was IF (as I believe) Nichols chose 6 men to go below with him in response to Ligtholler's order, who those 6 men were. I agree that at least some of them might have come from your shortlist.

Last edited: