NOAA Reexamines Weather Conditions

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From the NOAA News Website:
quote:

May 18, 2006 – A re-analysis of the weather conditions on Lake Superior during the November 1975 gale when the lake freighter Edmund Fitzgerald went down, killing all 29 aboard, shows a period when the winds and waves were the most extreme, say the NOAA scientists who conducted the review.
For the rest of the story, go to http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2006/s2633.htm

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
Thank you Michael. The big Fitz has always interested me.
There was a Discovery channel show on rogue waves and they mentioned the Fitz and the gales on Lake Superior. Introducing another theory into the mystery.
Best Regards, Don

W

Wayne Keen

Thanks for the link. It is interesting from a Fitz standpoint, and a wave modeling standpoint.

Wayne

T

Timothy Trower

Thanks for this link. The Fitz was my first marine interest ...; our family saw the Fitzgerald lock through in the summer of '75, and the evening of November 10 I remember watching the news and hearing a report of her loss.

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
I actually posted something about this article a month ago. I put it in a different thread. I actually saw the article a month prior to it's publication. There will also be a article in the next year or so concerning the wreck and some additional information gained from the bell raising trip.

You will all be enlightened when it's published

W

Wayne Keen

"You will all be enlightened when it's published"

Always appreciated by a dim bulb like me!

;)

Wayne

p.s. I have recently become involved in a program at work, that, among other things, involves modeling waves

T

Timothy Trower

Yeah, great, tease us then watch us all wait for a year ...