NOAA

Feb 14, 2011
Im curious..under what federal agency does NOAA fall?
Are they an appendage of the military, as they do have officers with Navy style ranks.
Are they merchant marine? Perhaps a limb of the Coast Guard? Are they a federal organisation, comparable to the National Park Service, which fals under the Dept of the Interior?
If anyone knows,. Id be much abliged..

Capt Craig McLean, of NOAA, who led this past expedition is a very nice fellow, i met him at the hearings in VA in 2000

Tarn Stephanos

Tim Foecke

Jul 16, 2003
NOAA is a part of the Department of Commerce, as is NIST where I work. The budget and staff of NOAA and NIST combined constitute 85% of the Department of Commerce.

The NOAA Corps is one of 7 uniformed services of the United States Government. They are

Army
Navy
Airforce
Marine Corps
Coast Guard
Public Health Service (ex Surgeon General)
NOAA Corps

Tim Foecke

Jul 16, 2003
Forgot to add. Don't confuse the NOAA Corps with NOAA. NOAA contains the National Hurricane Center, the National Weather Service, the National Severe Storms Forcast Center, the National Marine Fisheries Service, the Marine Sanctuaries Orgainization, and many, many other outfits.

There are 12,000 people in NOAA, and only about 800 in the Corps. Most NOAA people in don't have uniforms. The Corps are responsible for operating their research vessels and some of the aircraft.

If you really are interested in getting into marine archeology, I would STRONGLY suggest you completely absorb their web site at http://www.noaa.gov

Feb 14, 2011
Once i obtain my graduate training and recieve degrees in the field of marine archaeology, I would like to teach in academia, or work for either the National Park Service or NOAA..

But if i did NOAA, im not sure Id want to be military.,.I enjoy me freedom as a civilian. Could one work for NOAA as an arachaologist yet still be concidered a civilian?