Sep 26, 1999
I was just wondering if Noel Beane is still living? She is related to Mr. and Mrs. Edward Beane who were one of only two surviving honeymooning couples aboard the Titanic.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Darren, Noel is alive and well and is not the only surviving grand-daughter. But towards the end of his life Ted Beane became very reluctant to discuss his Titanic experience and this remains the policy of the family.

Sep 26, 1999
Bob, Thanks for this information. I was always interested in the Beanes story and how they managed to survive together. I often wondered why Mrs. Beane never spoke openly about the disaster.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Darren, I figure that the Beanes' survival as a couple was down to good luck - to be in the right place at the right time. Dubious accounts appeared in various newspaper articles shortly after the sinking, including Ethel's story of the crew blazing away with rifles and Ted's claim that he was rescued from the water, but there's little doubt that both got away without incident in boat 13.

Brian Meister

Mar 19, 1999
Andrew and Bob,

The photo appeared in the Rochester Democrat
and Chronicle in an anniversary article on the
Western New York residents who were survivors.
Why they chose the 19th anniversary, I do not
know, but I am glad they did it.

E

Emily J. DeFilipps

Can anyone tell me who Noel Beane's father was? The Beane's I believe had two sons, Edward and George. George lived in Rochester, NY (near where I live) until he died I think in 1998. I was always interested in finding out more about the family but knew that the Beane's only had granddaughters which makes it hard to research unless you know married names. Does Noel live in the Rochester area?

Dec 13, 1998
Bob; I am not sure they escaped in No 13 after all. Edward Beane stated the boat wasn't full and Ethel said they were quite close to the ship when it sank. There is a possibility they were in No 9. But again, I am not sure.

Peter

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Neither am I, Peter - I hadn't looked too closely at the evidence when I made that comment a year ago! And they could of course have been in two different boats. The only thing we can be reasonably sure of is that Ted wasn't "swimming around for hours" as he sometimes claimed.