Nora Agnes Keane

A

Anna Cook

I am an actress that will play the role of 2nd class Irish passenger Nora Keane in "Titanic: The Artifact Exhibit" coming to Los Angeles soon. I was wondering if anyone had any extra info on her that is not already included on this webpage, such as was she ever married? Was she courting? Did she have any children? How many brothers did she have? What kind of a shop did she own with her brother in Harrisburg P.A.? Oh, and are there any photos of her? Or any info on her parents or relatives (brothers,sister, etc)? What year was she born? I would appreciate any info available.
Thanks,
Anna

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Anna, the book 'The Irish Aboard Titanic' by Senan Molony has a couple of pages on Nora and one photo. She was born in 1866 (but hated to admit it!) and was never married. Her brother owned a hotel in Harrisburg, and Nora later bought a pub in the same town. She eventually returned to Ireland, where she died in 1944. You might try also researching her room-mate Edwina Troutt, who had quite a lot to say about Nora.

Bob

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
As an actress, you'll find it useful to know a few pointers towards Nora's character. She seems to have been self-conscious, perhaps rather vain - when she signed up for the Titanic she knocked 11 years off her real age, and in a famous incident she wasted valuable time during the sinking trying to fasten a corset over her nightgown. Certainly she was VERY nervous. When boarding the ship she'd dropped her prayer book and rosary in the water and was convinced this was a bad omen. It didn't help when she was told by another woman passenger that a cock crow was heard at dusk, another portent of doom for travellers. According to Edwina Troutt: "She kept moaning that the ship would never make it to New York, that we were doomed. She drove me a little batty."

That should help you to play the authentic Nora. Have fun!

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Anna,
Nora was an interesting character all right. Her actual date of birth was March 30, 1864--born in Castleconnell, County Limerick, Ireland. You might want to contact Senan Molony for more information as he's the ultimate authority on the Irish passengers. Also, if you'll contact me privately at [email protected] I think I have the email address of one of her great-nieces that still lives in the United States. I'll be out of the country from February 4th thru the 13th but will try to get the address prior to leaving if you'll contact me this weekend.

Regards,
Phil

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Phil, I got the 1866 birth date from Senan's book. I reckon Nora is wearing a broad smile in heaven at the thought that even he knocked a couple of years off her age!

Bob

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hi Bob,
Yeah, a lot of those Titanic women stretched their ages. But I found old Norah's birth certificate so have gotten the goods on her :). In the process of proving the ages of the passengers and crew it seems almost rare that they told the truth. We've even found one woman that stretched it by 17 years!

Phil

ian Hough

Dec 17, 2002
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Hi folks

Nora Keane was buried in the local graveyard in Castleconnell, Ireland - has anyone got the name of the graveyard or any other info about Nora other than what is readily available on ET Bio - or messageboard.

All the best
Houghie
mad.gif

Senan Molony

Jan 30, 2004
Dublin
AN HISTORIC timepiece that stopped ticking when the Titanic sank 93 years ago is to be auctioned (The Irish Independent, April 15, 2005).

95562.jpg

The 18-carat gold pocket watch is among the rare artifacts connected to the ill-fated ocean liner to be sold by Bonhams and Butterfields in Massachusetts in the US on May 1.

The watch, which was damaged when disaster struck mid-Atlantic, belonged to Nora Keane, an Irish immigrant, living in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania with her brothers and sisters. Following a four-month visit to her mother in Castle Connell, Co Limerick, Miss Keane decided to return on the maiden voyage of RMS Titanic, boarding at Queenstown as a second-class passenger.

She was rescued by lifeboat with the watch, which was damaged when the lifeboat passed under the ship's pump discharge.

Its gilt face has some rust staining, but it is still expected to fetch between €3,800 and €5,300, Bonhams said.

The rarest item to be sold on May 1 is the only known example of a third-class menu from the Titanic.

It is expected to fetch up to around €38,700. Other items include a collection of sheet music for particularly poignant tunes such as, 'Just as the Ship Went Down', 'A Song of the Sea' by Gibson & Adeler, and 'Nearer My God to Thee' by Bernard White.