Norman Wilkinson and the Lusi

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
English maritime artist Norman Wilkinson created a painting depicting the sinking of the LUSITANIA.
This was one of the first images I saw of the sinking, but always in black and white. Does anyone know where the original is kept and are there any colour images around?
One reproduction in the mid 70's magazine series HISTORY OF SHIPS passed it off as the TITANIC would you believe!?!

The best lead I have is a reproduction in Gary Gentile's first volume of THE LUSITANIA CONTROVERSIES which is sourced to the Eric Sauder Collection.
cheers

Martin

Mar 20, 2000
Martin,

I don't know if it's of interest but I have an early press reproduction of one of Wilkinson's watercolor renderings; I think there were two or possibly more (?). Mine came from the magazine "L'Illustration" (15 May 1915) but is not in color. It's not exactly black-and-white, either. Age alas has lent its special patina.

I can make a color scan for you, if you want, so that the cream-tint is preserved. It's a really stunning though very disturbing image.

Personally I prefer to think of Lusitania in her triumph, not as she was in those last moments. I have kept it because it was such an amazing illustration and was going to use it for my book on Lucy Duff-Gordon. But I think I'll opt for a happier, more fitting depiction of "The Queen of the Seas."

Ramdy

PS) Here is a link for more on Norman Wilkinson who, it will be remembered, undertook several studies for Olympic and Titanic interiors:

Mar 20, 2000
again - NORAMN WILKINSON

PS) I am thinking it's possible that the two Wilkinson-illustrated war books mentioned on this link page may contain his Lusitania watercolors - "Tales of the Great War" (1916) and "Submarine and Ant-submarine" (1918), both authored by Henry Newbolt and published by Longmans Green.

C

cairney

we have the last of his paintings, little bit unfinished 1934 americas cup. oil painting.

Jake Hain

Dec 24, 2004
More can be found on Wilkinson here:

Comp---NW-&-Sigc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.