Norman Wilkinson's Titanic sinking painting

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I understand it, Norman Wilkinson painted an image of Titanic sinking, with her stern high in the air. This image can be found in the opening pages of the 1912 book "Titanic" by Filson Young.

I just want to confirm that this painting was indeed by Norman Wilkinson, and number two, where is the original today? Does it hang in a museum or in a private collection?

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Tarn,

If we are on about the same image (a four funnelled ship sinking by the head with her "4" screws in the air) then I am certain that it is of the LUSITANIA. See my thread in the Lusitania section where I raise similar queestions.

This painting was passed off as TITANIC in HISTORY OF SHIPS a 4 volume magazine series that I collected in the mid 70's. Even then I knew it was a mistake.

cheers

Martin

It couldnt be, as the painting Im refering to appeared in the book Titanic by Filson Young, published in 1912, when the Lucy was still afloat...

L

lee kendall

Wilkinson did indeed paint a version of the Titanic sinking, it is currently owned by the Grant Richards Company, and is not on public display in a gallery or museum to my knowledge. there are various reproductions in titanic books published over the years - the most obvious being the one mentioned above in Young; but as that particular book is pretty hard to come by these days, you would find the reproduction on page 162 of Triumph and Tragedy, by Charlie Eaton and John Haas (2nd edition- 1994) a lot easier to get hold of.

lee

Norman Wilkinson had avery long carrier painting ships and the ecounters we had in them. I saw his work on the covers of books and in the ship magazines that I bought as a boy in the mid 70's.

Are there any books dedicated to his work as there are for Chris Mayger and Ken Marschall. if not not it is long overdue..

cheers

Martin

L

lee kendall

> [hello martin, im currently engaged on phd research into the art history of titanic so as you can imagine ive had to use quite an exhaustive bibliography to track down information on individual artists. there are no monographs published at this point in time concentrating on his work alone. wilkinson is one the most neglected ship artists of his or any generation, and i agree with you, his work is much in need of a modern reappraisal. it may be hard to get hold of but his autobiography "A Brush With Life" (New York, Grafton, 1969) is worth reading, albeit short on samples of his paintings. hope this helps

lee]

I've seen some nice copies of Wilkinson's work, a lot of period ships and harbors. Does anyone know of a source to by copies of Approach To Plymouth or Approach To the New World? Was there any verified sketches or ideas for Wilkinson to add something to the Britannic? Did he paint pictures for other WSL ships?

Status
Not open for further replies.