Normandie by John MaxtoneGraham

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi All,

I have just started my copy of Normandie: France's Legendary Art Deco Ocean Liner by John Maxtone-Graham and it is a wonderfully evocative look at this great liner. Lavishly executed, richly illustrated and of course written with the trademark Maxtone-Graham style - simultaneously lyrical and studded with intricate content. I recommend it as an excellent addition to any liner library.

Best,
Eric Longo

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Well, that certainly sounds interesting. I hope he was able to incorporate memories of people who sailed on the liner. I interviewed a 90 year old gentleman who did sailed on her and his anecdotes were wonderful.

Mike

John DeLoache

Jun 3, 2004
Even thought she isn't one of my favorites, I'm looking forward to reading this one.

I've always thought it was interesting to compare the German and French use of the divided uptakes. In many ways I think the Germans did a better job. This is especially true of the dining room. Just how practical was a room 300 feet long but only 55 feet wide? In every photo I've seen of the room the tables seem so close together that I would imagine that passage thru the room would be difficult at times when a large complement of 1st class passengers was on board.