Normandie Final Voyage photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
The caption on the above picture belonged on this one. My mistake. These were all taken from a roll of negatives I picked up a few months ago. Of the 32 photos, ten were classics, ten alright, and the balance fair-to-pointless.
49209.jpg

And to accompany Steven's 1941 memo, is a snapshot taken in the early part of that year (it is captioned "Normandie 1941" in pen on the margin) after the routine external maintanance of the ship had been "deferred" but before the deterioration seen in later 1941 views was evident.
49215.jpg

Jim:

Thanks for sharing the NORMANDIE photos. I have a nice selection of real-photo postcards PAQUE-BOT, bearing wonderful shipboard correspondence.

However, I am not sure of STEAKFISH is a member of the ET forum...he would be going nuts with all this NORMANDIE hoopla!

Michael A. Cundiff
USA

STEAKFISH? We have not met.

I bought an amazing collection of first generation Italian Line publicity shots of the Special, Tourist and Third Class public rooms and cabins aboard the Rex and Conte di Savoia today. Amazing images which, unfortunately are still under copyright and can't be posted- they give truth to that tired line about "third class on this ship is equal to first on...." of which we are all familiar. Here is an oddly angled snapshot of the Rex departing NY on an overcast day at some point after her funnel vent openings were plated over in 1935.
49234.jpg

And, an idyllic photo album shot of the Paris in parts unknown, during one of her depression era luxury cruises. Although not the most detailed shot of this liner I've seen, it is my favorite. I would like to see this painted in the style of the early 1930s ads. I'd also like to find out where this was. The handwritten caption on back says "Paris in" in beautifully rounded script, and then "?" a word beginning with M so badly written that it resembles none of the port names beginning with "M" that I could find.
49237.jpg

S

Scott R. Andrews

Jim,

The "Paris" photo certainly looks like it was taken in a fjord. You say that the location begins with the letter "M" - can you read, or even guess at any of the other characters, and approximately how many characters do you think are in the word? Maybe we can narrow this down bit by bit. Nice photo at any rate! Some of these transatlantic liners ended up in some very unlikely waters when they were sent cruising. Of course, considering the sort of weather they were built to handle, they must have been much more comfortable in Scandinavian waters than they would have been on, say, Caribbean or South American cruises!

Scott Andrews

Jim:

As for the image of the Paris, I have an image of the Mauretania in the same location it think with this M--- name if I can find it I will post the name of the location. However a during a quick search I have been unable to locate it.

Y

Yannick KERSERHO

Hi Steven, if you wish I can do the translation franí§ais-anglais for the letter but the text is too small and I absolutly cannot read anything here, can you post much bigger please ?

Thanks for the collection of the bad side of history of NORMANDIE.

Kheyo

Yannick:

As for the Translation, the Image I have posted on this site is at the 35meg limit so I can't go any bigger with it.

I will post a few more images of her once I get up to the Normandie in the postcard and photo collection.

I have been in the process of scanning all the images in my collection, I am currently working on the French Line images and am working on the Ile De France at the moment. Images from the collection can be found in the Thread: French Liners - CGT The French Line

Kheyo: A while back I posted several other unpublished Normandie photos on the thread about ugly liners (of which there are actually two) which you might find interesting. And, no, I don't think that the Normandie is an ugly liner- it just happened that the photos ended up there.

Y

Yannick KERSERHO

Hi Steven, Hi Jim,

Steven, so sad for the picture of the frensh text,thanks anyway !
The pictures here, on this post are "extraordinaires" !!! In fact, its seems there is also a big american collection of photos, cause most of the ones I saw on American web sites are different with the ones I know ! What a design and what an emotion to see the people on the forwards decks !!! Fa-bu-lous pictures !!! Thanks again for you and wait impatiently your new pictures, Jim, It seems that now I know people interested by Normandie, I will have to work a lot to scan the ones I have !
(thank's god, my two days off arrive !!!
kheyo

NORMANDIE IN 3-D: Something you all might want to track down. Back in 1935, the Tru-Vue Company (American) issued a 3-D film strip of the Normandie which allows one to see the Dining Salon, Lounge, Smoking Room, Bar, Chapel, Boat Deck, Normandie Sign and a few other locations in black and white three-dimensional images. In France, Bruguiere issued two sets of twelve Normandie stereocards, which are hard to find in the US but probably easier to acquire in France. I can't post the US
3-D pictures (still under copyright) but they are not difficult to track down.

Status
Not open for further replies.