Normandie Maiden Voyage photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Reigel

Jul 26, 2002
Jim --

There is another photo in the Shipbuilder, pg 125 (fig 22) shows the swing set's attachment to the deck. Looking at this and your pic above, I see that it had three A-frames, the outside frames having two horizontal cross pieces and the center only one. See also Braynard pg 27 for a view of the cable support to the side, and an additional candy-cane like sub-mystery-object attached to the outside A-frame.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
If you look at the center picture (above) closely, you can see that there are sets of paired hooks, for swings, attached to the central bar. I just noticed them. The candy cane like object had an attachment rather like an inverted bowl at the terminal end of its hook. I am heading out to Texas tonight and will not be able to post any more pictures (no scanner) 'til I return sometime later in March, so here is my final photo contribution for a while- a lovely shot, taken on the maiden voyage, which conjures up romantic images of steamship travel and of the shower of hot grit and gagging fumes which must have descended upon the Mystery Object, the tennis courts, and the occupants of Deauville and Trouville every time the wind was right.
51083.jpg

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Frederick- It was given to you? Quite a great gift. If it is high enough resolution and hasn't undergone too much color shifting as frequently happens with old color films and photos (reds turning blue, blues turning red- pink skies etc) you might be able to lease it to documentary makers. Just a thought.

Scott Reigel

Jul 26, 2002
Is the white circular object on the base of #2 funnel the Fog Gong (mentioned in the Shipbuilder)? Question came up a while back on another board and that was the best guess.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
My guess is that it was part of the public address system. I have a hunch that a fog gong (and it is strictly a hunch, since I have neither seen nor heard one) would probably have been mounted facing outward or forward, and higher up, as were the whistles, to better carry the sound. If you look at the photo of the funnel from 1938 I posted,(posting 681) you can see that there was a corresponding one mounted in the wall of the children's playroom- whatever it was, it was deep necked and to judge from the shadow it cast extended a distance outward from its base. I don't think that they would have mounted a gong loud enough to carry a distance over water at head level in a first class section of the ship on a public deck.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Or might it have had something to do with the funnel itself since I notice that there was not one mounted on the non-functional third funnel? The only surviving Normandie passengers I know of-Kitty Carlisle and Bob Hope- probably will not be of any help in answering this one.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Here is a June 1935 snapshot, from another album, showing the First Class Dining Room. Except for close ups and seated pictures I have never seen an official French Line publicity shot of this room with people in it, and this photo kind of hints at why- with less than 25 people in the frame the room seems on the way to being congested and the proportions seems considerably less cavernous with something to establish scale in the shot. Imagine this scene with all 800+ First Class passengers attempting to arrive or depart. In the 1935/36 refit the glass columns were reduced in number by two and reconfigured in an effort to open up the room a bit.
58127.jpg

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Here, barely visible, is "Ethel" from Tulsa, posing in front of the "Normandy" on December 25, 1939. Another photo album find- puzzling is that they did not photograph the Queen Mary, a fragment of which appears to the right. Had the photographer framed this so both ships were on full view, and had "Ethel" stood against the light background between the two ships, not only would she have appeared in the photo but it would have been a classic.
59274.jpg

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
And some more album shots, from a different album, showing the Normandie on July 12 1938 as she departs on her 100th voyage.
59277.jpg

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
And a favorite. When I found this one I was pleased by how strongly it resembles the Cassandre poster. Taken in leHavre at some point in 1935.
59281.jpg

Mar 20, 2000
I really like the above shot. Normandie is one of the few old ships whose elegance still appears totally modern.

Too bad about poor Ethel in that earlier pic. It might have helped the old dear to have worn a lighter color that day. Guess Ethel missed her chance at liner immortality. But I don't know. I bet if she's still alive she'd think it was pretty cool to be on the internet!

Am eagerly awaiting the posting of the Normandie fashion show images somebody hinted at lately ...

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Not to be coy, but they will have to be posted off board as unfortunately they are part of a copyrighted series by design concerns which still retain lawyers. At the very least it would bring an annoying Cease and Desist email-always such an irritant to those who practice Antinomianism.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
However I can post this fashion model/fashion anomaly photo from the Maiden Voyage. One of the Vogue models from the on board fashion show is shown in this snapshot playing a deck game in Capri Pants DECADES before Mary Tyler Moore as Laura Petrie inflicted them upon the world at large. The Bronx Tuxedo her "boyfriend" is sporting also seems strangely out of decade as I suspect such attire was not common in first class pre 1970s.
59307.jpg

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
And here she is shown posing morosely, no doubt after being chastised by the crew for appearing in First Class in tight slacks, in smart afternoon attire.
59319.jpg

Jun 10, 1999
Mr. Kalafus:

Your entry of album photographs are appreciated.
To see such poignant snapshots is much more appeasing to an ocean liner enthusiast, than as opposed to the multi dispersed publicity stills from the era.

I an anxiously awaiting the finding of
images captured by way of slide, on-board the S.S.U.S. by an aquaintance of mine. As a ten-year old lad he sailed aboard the "Big-U". So now it is a matter of finding time to search the family storage for the slides.

As I have experienced in the past...I appreciate the rewards of enduring patience...;-)

Michael A. Cundiff
USA

Status
Not open for further replies.