Normandie Maiden Voyage photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
And a favorite. When I found this one I was pleased by how strongly it resembles the Cassandre poster. Taken in leHavre at some point in 1935.
59281.jpg

I really like the above shot. Normandie is one of the few old ships whose elegance still appears totally modern.

Too bad about poor Ethel in that earlier pic. It might have helped the old dear to have worn a lighter color that day. Guess Ethel missed her chance at liner immortality. But I don't know. I bet if she's still alive she'd think it was pretty cool to be on the internet!

Am eagerly awaiting the posting of the Normandie fashion show images somebody hinted at lately ...

Not to be coy, but they will have to be posted off board as unfortunately they are part of a copyrighted series by design concerns which still retain lawyers. At the very least it would bring an annoying Cease and Desist email-always such an irritant to those who practice Antinomianism.

However I can post this fashion model/fashion anomaly photo from the Maiden Voyage. One of the Vogue models from the on board fashion show is shown in this snapshot playing a deck game in Capri Pants DECADES before Mary Tyler Moore as Laura Petrie inflicted them upon the world at large. The Bronx Tuxedo her "boyfriend" is sporting also seems strangely out of decade as I suspect such attire was not common in first class pre 1970s.
59307.jpg

And here she is shown posing morosely, no doubt after being chastised by the crew for appearing in First Class in tight slacks, in smart afternoon attire.
59319.jpg

Mr. Kalafus:

Your entry of album photographs are appreciated.
To see such poignant snapshots is much more appeasing to an ocean liner enthusiast, than as opposed to the multi dispersed publicity stills from the era.

I an anxiously awaiting the finding of
images captured by way of slide, on-board the S.S.U.S. by an aquaintance of mine. As a ten-year old lad he sailed aboard the "Big-U". So now it is a matter of finding time to search the family storage for the slides.

As I have experienced in the past...I appreciate the rewards of enduring patience...;-)

Michael A. Cundiff
USA

Glad to hear that!

I, too, prefer good quality snapshots to overused publicity shots- they often give insights into aspects of the ship not "officially" covered AND if one decides to publish they can give one's photo section a refreshing "lift" above the ordinary free-of-charge.

Better hurry on those slides- my childhood slides of the classic liners of the 1960s and '70s are "warming" already, and most of our slides from the 50's and early '60s have already undergone marked color-shift. With home restoration now possible via computer it is not as major a crisis as it formerly was, but it is best to get them preserved ASAP.

I don't know if you've been following or not, but I've posted many more Normandie snapshots on the other Normandie threads, spanning 1935-'46.

Here are Madame leBrun, First Lady, and her entourage being taken on their Bridge to Stern inspection tour. Yet another snapshot taken by the Vogue model, which shows a part of the ship not often photographed close up.
59330.jpg

Earlier, she photographed the leBrun entourage and the onboard film crew on the Sports Deck. I was initially given a start by this photo. If you look at the woman in the center, whom I am guessing is Madame leBrun, then look between the officer to her right (in profile) and the gentleman in the light suit to the man between and slightly behind them.....well, the shadow of his nose and the part of his hair (not to mention his bone structure) for a second gave me a "is that HITLER?" start. It isn't......
59333.jpg

All,

I agree with Michael and Jim about the refreshing aspect of informal or candid photos like these which reflect actual shipboard life. The static interior scenes can get a bit tiresome as can the ubiquitous shots of celebs posed against a usually uninspired backdrop by paparazzi.

I also want to specifically thank Jim for actively filling the need here for information on liners other than Titanic, particularly the fascinating recent posts on Lusitania and her passengers. Diversity is essential to making this forum a better destination for ship buffs and Jim's posts have been among the most entertaining side-light features. I'm glad they have a home on ET.

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.