Normandie Maiden Voyage photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Glad to hear that!

I, too, prefer good quality snapshots to overused publicity shots- they often give insights into aspects of the ship not "officially" covered AND if one decides to publish they can give one's photo section a refreshing "lift" above the ordinary free-of-charge.

Better hurry on those slides- my childhood slides of the classic liners of the 1960s and '70s are "warming" already, and most of our slides from the 50's and early '60s have already undergone marked color-shift. With home restoration now possible via computer it is not as major a crisis as it formerly was, but it is best to get them preserved ASAP.

I don't know if you've been following or not, but I've posted many more Normandie snapshots on the other Normandie threads, spanning 1935-'46.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Here are Madame leBrun, First Lady, and her entourage being taken on their Bridge to Stern inspection tour. Yet another snapshot taken by the Vogue model, which shows a part of the ship not often photographed close up.
59330.jpg

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Earlier, she photographed the leBrun entourage and the onboard film crew on the Sports Deck. I was initially given a start by this photo. If you look at the woman in the center, whom I am guessing is Madame leBrun, then look between the officer to her right (in profile) and the gentleman in the light suit to the man between and slightly behind them.....well, the shadow of his nose and the part of his hair (not to mention his bone structure) for a second gave me a "is that HITLER?" start. It isn't......
59333.jpg

Mar 20, 2000
All,

I agree with Michael and Jim about the refreshing aspect of informal or candid photos like these which reflect actual shipboard life. The static interior scenes can get a bit tiresome as can the ubiquitous shots of celebs posed against a usually uninspired backdrop by paparazzi.

I also want to specifically thank Jim for actively filling the need here for information on liners other than Titanic, particularly the fascinating recent posts on Lusitania and her passengers. Diversity is essential to making this forum a better destination for ship buffs and Jim's posts have been among the most entertaining side-light features. I'm glad they have a home on ET.

Randy

M

Michael Choi

A few (3) items in response to earlier posts:

First, a commercially produced postcard showing passengers in the First Class Dining Room (1935, judging from the number of floor light fixtures).

http://members.aol.com/steakfish/pax.jpg

(I can't figure out how to meet the 20KB limit w/o making the pics unviewable, hence the outside link.)

Mike in NJ

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
I just bought another maiden voyage photo album, which I will be posting from in, oh , say 15 years. Lost my hard drive and the replacement has been "in transit" apparently via Pony Express- I hope to be up and running again in time for the Lusitania Disaster Centennial. Also picked up a harbor view of the Stockholm from 1959 with the bow of another ship (sadly- for the sake of cheap irony- not the Cristoforo Colombo) seemingly on a collision course with her port side just aft of the bridge. A strangely framed shot and one which I can't wait to post. Catch you all later. Oh, and Randy, thank you for that nice posting a while back, I appreciated it a great deal.

G

Geoffrey Todd Bennett

Great photos...keep'em coming....Love the Normandie!!!!

Mar 20, 2000
Jim,

You know you have my condolences on that computer muck. Many of us have gone through it; what a headache. I look forward to seeing more of your pictures when you can post them. And you're welcome for the words of support. They're deserved.

Randy

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
And a view of the smoking room staircase, taken from an album of interior shots (and a few deck scenes) done aboard an underpatronised 1936 crossing. I will be posting a lot from this album in the weeks to come- whomever shot it started at the bow and worked his or her way back through First Class photographing everything with varying degrees of success.
59637.jpg

M

Michael Choi

Looks like it. I recognize the four-masted sailing ship at the stern.

Mike in NJ

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Not the Normandie, but a late 1955 shot done aboard the Andrea Doria which captures the unrestrained frivolity of transatlantic travel at its best.
59641.jpg

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
And more untrammeled hedonism, in this case still bearing the ship's photo shop brand. Exactly where that woman found a wooden lawn chair in the midst of the First Class Lounge will likely remain unexplained.
59644.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.