Normandie Maiden Voyage photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Hi, Jason: The Modern Fleet ad ran on May 31 1936. The Maiden Voyage ad ran on May 30, 1935. Both were in the NY Times Sunday Rotogravure Section for those respective dates. Those can be had quite easily at most vintage paper dealers, and will probably be the simplest to locate.

One consistent disappointment, as a collector, is it that most of the US-run Normandie ads are quite terrible, especially when compared to those run in Europe. The greatest ad campaign of the pre war years had to have been that run by Italia in Fortune magazine, the least appealing the comparable Cunard ads (in the same magazine) and the most consistently mediocre the French Line's.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
These newspaper ads were not the letdown
happy.gif
it was the magazine ads from the same time which disappointed. They seldom featured views of the ships, but instead featured artist's conceptions of Parisian life which, frankly, looked like cover art from a series of menus NOT designed for the best French restaurant in town.

If I come across duplicates of these ads in my travels I will let you know. If I can get them for $5 again, they can be yours for the price of the postage only.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Here is an example of what I mean:
92876.jpg
92877.jpg

One an exceptionally strong image which the reader immediately links to Italia, the other an alright image with no immediate visual connection whatsover to CGT

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
And the greatest liner ad of them all.....
92881.jpg
92882.jpg

Two pages of a three page Italia spread which, by nature of its design had to be printed on heavy stock. Page one shows a family in a suite aboard the Rex. The open door of the cabin, through which the Rock of Gibraltar is seen, is actually a cutout, reveling a portion of the image on page three. Page three, of course, is a view of the Rex passing the rock, while the unshown page 2 is a photomontage of Italian and Italia scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.