NORMANDIE SUPER MODEL

Dec 24, 1997
> [Jason, many thanks. Still haven't figured out why this does this but expecting a reply from Mr. Hind on how to do it correctly. Thanks again and sorry for the bother. Cheers Jon Hollis]

Dec 24, 1997
WhoooooopS Jason what happened they are now missing???? Never mind there Back. Sscared me when I saw empty frames with the Red X. Thanks again. Jon

Dec 24, 1997
Sorry the pics had to be this size but if you copy then enlarge you will be even more amazed like the Grand Lounge and the paintings (panels) and below the Dining Room with tables and chairs and the Kitchens below with the big ovens,etc etc etc Or e-mail me with the picture your interested in and I will e-mail back in a larger format. Cheers Jon

Jan 7, 2002
Amazing details...
Im wondering if any other model makers have attempted the good father's 'cutaway' approach to Titanic, or other ships?
A half model of the Aquitania, or even the QM2 would be breathtaking....
Its amazing he made these models without any outside help....

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Jun 10, 1999
John:

My first visit to the LA Maritime Museum was in '86. I was taken aback by the TITANIC cut-away. I had no forewarning. Little did I or my girlfriend, who went on to ask, "Don't you want to see anything else ;-) know that we would be there 4 1/2 hrs. What I found interesting was the fact that as details were disclosed over the years, Father Pierrone would update his work. That was the first time I had learned of TITANIC's steering gear, from the model...fantastic detail. Only thing I did not care for was the decking. Perhaps he could have used basal wood for added detail? Hard to believe he buitd it in his Mother's kitchen over five yrs.

BTW, on that particular visit I obtained, what I feel to be Marshcall's finest work..."Farewell to Southampton"

Thanks Jon!

Michael Cundiff
USA

Jun 10, 1999
Forgot,

That's a funny looking drydock Ken is in with NORMANDIE. From the look on his face..."Just how do you propose to launch this thing?"

Michael Cundiff
USA

Dec 24, 1997
> [Michael, Thanks for the e-mails your the first one I have heard from except Tarn since I posted the NEW pictures. I too first saw Father Pirrones work at the San Pedro Museum and was astounded to say the least. The curator allowed me to take pictures for my Titanic Presentations. I was told that Father Pirrone had just finished opening up the Turbine Casing and installed all the fan blades on the rotors. But now this Normandie model is something else, I only wish I could have posted the pictures in a larger format so you could see more of the detail. Note the paintings on the walls and the reliefs (The one relief of the Dining Room was not finished at the time the picture was taken) compare them to the real paintings and real reliefs, the furniture, the objects de art like vases and accessories,WOW!! Also below the dining room the kitchens with the detailed tile floor and the 56 foot stoves/ovens more WOW and the Engine Rooms with the electrical conduits and gauges and wiring, TRIPLE WOW!!! I probably will never get the chance to see it live but hope many in tha area or those that visit CA will go see it and the Titanic and Lusitania as well.So Michael thanks again for your writing and I hope to hear from others that may want to send Father Pirrone any message which I will be happy to follow. Re Ken Marschall sorry about the Stern View but like you say he was very busy trying to think up the launch sequence I guess. Am hoping Father Pirrrone will send me some pictures of it being loaded and in transit to the Queen Mary and being installed in its' case there. Have no idea when but will let you and all know as soon as I hear. Cheers Michael and Cheers ALL]

Jul 9, 2004
I know I'm late in this... but I just recently found out I can post again after an e-mail address change problem.

I don't think any... ANY liner model can beat this! This is beyond breathtaking. This is more along the lines of drop dead GORGEOUS! That dining room is absolutely delicious. I can't imagine the painstaking research it took for some of those interiors.

It leaves me with little to say other than... gosh.

Dec 24, 1997
> [Brandon, Thanks for the comments. Hope to be able to post more pictures when it comes time to load it up and take it to the Queen Mary in Long Beach and the unloading and installing on board. have no idea just when this will be but as soon as I get them they will be here. Thanks again and have a great day. Jon]

John Zoppina

Feb 5, 2005
Mr. Hollis,

I realize it was a long time since this post was last active, but I was wondering if the Normandie model was taken to Long Beach yet, and if so, have you any photos?

Thanks,
John

Dec 24, 1997
> [JOhn For some reason the Normandie Super Model Thread would not come up, so I posted a reply to your question on the Post Fire Picture Page. Let me know if you got it Cheers Jon]

John Zoppina

Feb 5, 2005
Indeed, message received. Thanks Jon
happy.gif

-John

Jul 12, 2005
I understand the Normandie model has indeed been taken to the Queen Mary and has been installed in its display case. Last December, when I was in Hollywood to do a television show, I talked with Father Pirrone on the telephone and he said his next project is to start all over on the Titanic and make a model with the same detail as the Normandie, after 20 years of post-discovery photos and information. I'm anxious to see the results! For those who want more photos of the Normandie model, order the current issue of the Titanic Commutator with a cover story feature on the model. www.titanic1.org. Robert H. Gibbons

Dec 24, 1997
> [Yes Indeed the Super Normandie Model is in place on the Queen Mary along > with Father Pironnes Titanic and Lusitania. I sent Father Pirrone the commerative coin that was given out on the maiden voyage. Some years ago Rene Bouvard Director De Publicitie for the French Line gave it to me as he was at the launchung of the Normandie and the France and many other ships. That commemerative coin is now on display with the model. If anyone gets out there I would love a photo of the model in its place and of the coin. The Titanic Historical Society's latest Issue as Bob said has a real great article witth many pictures of the model.
Happy New Year to ALL may the New Year be filled with Good Health, Happiness, Good Cheer and Prosperity for you ALL. Cheers all Jon Hollis

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
I know this is an old thread but its new to me. What did Father Roberto Pirrone use for blueprint sources on this? The detail is incredible!

Thanks,
Ryan Thompson, wishing there was a Notify Me of Response feature on these boards...

Oct 22, 2001
I just returned from a trip to Long Beach a couple of weeks ago. I visited the Maritime Museum expressly to see Fr. Pirrone's models of Titanic and Lusitania. Unfortunately, they were not there and the man at the front desk thought that Titanic was on display at the Queen Mary. I rushed over to the Queen Mary, but unfortunately had very limited time as I needed to catch a flight home,and was therefore unable to visit all the decks. I asked two different people if a model of Titanic was exhibited and they looked at me like I was crazy, so I assumed that Fr. Pirrone's model must have been part of a temporary exhibit.

I should have consulted with the experts on this board! Are all 3 of Fr. Pirrone's models on display somewhere aboard QM at present???