Normandie's Name

John Zoppina

Feb 5, 2005
Hi everyone
happy.gif

Just out of curiosity... I was looking through the Picture History of the Normandie today and came across something odd. If you take a look at a picture of Normandie pre-sea trials, the name on the bow is much higher than after she arrived on her maiden voyage.

Anyone have any idea why the name was moved?

Thanks,
John

Daniel Cox

Apr 5, 2004
Well done John you have a very good eye there.I took a close look and the only thing i can come up with is that , before her sea trials the name looks painted on see page 14 picture number 25 , you will see the (painted)letters follow the plating of the hull.
When you look at page 32 and at picture 49 , the letters are larger and are metal letters that have been welded to the hull.To me it looks like the name started out as just painted on just tempory till the ship was fully finnished then pernament letters where added once she was ready for her career.Also if you look at page 88 picture 120 you will see the navy guys removing the so called metal letters.
Maybe someone else on here can come up with why the name was changed/moved.
Regards LinerDan

Dec 5, 2006
There is in fact an answer! In fact Dan got it, while fitting out and during trials the name was painted on, and when she returned to the dock, she was fitted with a set of painted raised letters on her hull.