Norovirus strikes again

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
Some research shows that this virus has always been around. However it hasn't been until the post 9/11 worries over bioterrorism that has truely about it out to the public eye.

It is actually somewhat rare for someone not to get sick (not talking about sea sick) on a large cruise ship. It's when it becomes multiple people people in the triple digits that things become worry some.

There is no real sure way to prevent the illness. There are lots of precautions but no way to really stop it from occuring.

It is hard to trace.

Mandy Clancey

May 12, 2006
This is not what I wanted to read. My husband, our two small girls and myself are going on the Pacific Sun in six days time! Do you think it will be safe now?

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Mandy, it should be safe, if people practice common sense while on the ship.

One think you might check, as Jerry Nuovo and I noticed it for the QE2 and the Queen Mary 2: at places where people congregate, and equipment usage is shared, there should be hand sanitizer dispensers handy; use those early, and often.
That will be noticed in self-serve food areas, computer use rooms (including the library) and the gymnasium.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
After all, Mandy, you could stay on the good dry land and still get a rotten wog like the one I've got right now. For once, I'm keeping quiet!

Mandy Clancey

May 12, 2006
Well Dave, I'm just getting over one myself, so I guess I can't get much worse! And if I have to be sick, I'd rather be sick on a ship than on land (I think..)

Mandy

Mandy Clancey

May 12, 2006
Just thought I would let you all know that there was another outbreak of the Norovirus on our cruise. Luckily we didn't get it. We were told that there only about six cabins affected, all on one deck.

The hand sanitizers were everywhere, and I made sure that we all used them as much as possible.