North Barb Gate Southampton

Jan 5, 2001
Hi!

I am not sure if I have got the name right but I wondered if some of the knowledgable people here could help. I've seen a record of what appears to read 'North Bar' Gate, and it states that on top of the gate there was an excellent view of Southampton 'harbour.' Was there a 'North Bar' Gate, in 1912?

Best,

Mark.

Apr 27, 2003
Mark,
The Bar Gate now Bargate is the North Gate of the old city of Southampton.
Now in the middle of a Roundabout you can access it and you do get a marvellous view of the Docks from the top but many new buildings spoil the view somewhat.
It is very rarely called North Gate.
Cheers

Brian

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Brian!

Nice to see you again! Thanks very much for your post. The 'North Gate' description was written by a middle-aged American writer back in August 1912, so I'm sure that explains the difference in names. Thanks very much for the clarification!

Hi Bob!

Thanks very much for those links. Most interesting to view and very helpful.

Thanks to you both!

Kindest regards,

Mark.

John Avery

Aug 4, 2005
In 2004 a group of volunteers re-opened the Bargate to the public, I was one of the 'guides' and it was great taking visitors onto the roof especially when the new QM2 was on her berth. Lots of people came in initially as the city council had closed it to visitors 17 years before.
Unfortunately after the first rush it tailed off and some days we were getting only a few in so the cost of insurance, rates, lighting etc forced us to abandon the idea. A local disability support group wrote in to complain that ancient building did not conform with the current laws on access for disabled persons. The granite steps were very steep and environment and heritage laws [it is a Grade 1 Listed Building] conflicted with the Right of Access. The building remained dormant for a while now a group of young people have hired it to display some art work so great to see it in use again. So far they have not been prosecuted for refusing to take out the steep steps, there was a clause to say modifications could be made if it was reasonably practical. I do not think however that the artists have access to the roof so visitors and residents lose out on the view.