according to a site I also belong a member
of the Norways crew has filed suit against
the parent company for 1 billion in punitive
damages and 1 million in lost time and wages
the suit claims that the boilers were old and
improperly maintained. What do you think

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't think they'll get 1 billion dollars by any stretch of the imagination, beyond that, it's anybody's guess how it'll work out. This is just the opening round in the usual sort of legal wrangling that gets started any time something happens with a bad outcome.

A lot will depend on the findings of the investigation itself. There's no question that the boilers are old, but the plantiffs will have to be able to prove that the plant was improperly maintained. Assuming that your source isn't just passing rumour as fact, this could drag on for years.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to the actual source, would you?

Remco Hillen

Dec 13, 1999
I hope this won't lead to the company changing their ideas towards their newly bought ships; the United States and the Independence!

Regards,
Remco

Deborah Kogan

Jan 29, 2003
Mr. Standart:
Go to www.cruisecritic.com. Then go to message board, then NCL, then under 5/28 "NCL injured employee suing for 1 Billion dollars"; there is a link to a newspaper article in the thread.. I am worried about what will happen to United States, too.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Thanks Deborah. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the post that you mentioned although I did see a few others. Seems people are being quietly advised to make other arrangements. I can't say that this is much of a surprise.

Deborah Kogan

Jan 29, 2003
Mr. Standart:
You probably didn't scroll back far enough- it was on 5/28... To go directly to the newspaper article, try http://www.sun-sentinel.com and search under "Norway". It was on 5/28.. In it, someone claims the Norway to be an "ancient, dangerous vessel"...Try to find the citation

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Ahhhh...found it. Anyone intersted, click on Norway death toll at five; 2 crew sue parent company

The specific allegation...according to the story is:

quote:

Two of the survivors filed lawsuits against Star Cruises, the parent company of Norwegian Cruise Line, collectively asking for more than a billion dollars in damages. They allege the ship was improperly maintained and that its international crew was under-staffed, under-paid, under-trained, over-worked and encumbered by language problems.

And

quote:

"The SS Norway is an ancient, dangerous vessel with a long history of safety problems, which should have been sent to the scrap yard years ago," said the lawsuit filed on behalf of seaman Abdi Comedia, who was scalded near the boilers. "The vessel SS Norway has a phony flag-of-convenience registration ... the purpose of which is to avoid U.S. income taxes and to avoid more strict safety regulations which would be imposed if the vessel flew a U.S. flag."

Naturally, the owners deny the charge. For myself, I'll wait for the results of the investigation to come out. If the NTSB posts something, I'll be sure to put up a link so the membership here can read the whole thing for themselves.​

Status
Not open for further replies.