Nostradamus and the New City

Mar 3, 1998
People are starting to see the following "quote" from Nostradamus floating around the Internet:

Nostradamus' prediction on WW3:
"In the year of the new century and nine months,
From the sky will come a great King of Terror...
The sky will burn at forty-five degrees.
Fire approaches the great new city..."
"In the city of york there will be a great collapse,
2 twin brothers torn apart by chaos
while the fortress falls the great leader will succumb
third big war will begin when the big city is burning"
- NOSTRADAMUS

He said this will be bigger than the previous two.
2001 is the first year of the new century and this is the 9th month.
New York is located at the 41st degree Latitude.

Sounds pretty profound. Now, as any good Titanic researcher should do, I was skeptical about how neatly the interpretation of the evidence fit the current situation. So, I checked the primary sources myself. Here's what I found in the quatrains relating to the New City:

Century 1, Quatrain 24
A cité neuue pensif pour condemner,
L'oisel de proye au ciel se vient offrir:
Apres victoire à captifs pardonner,
Cremone & Mantoue gras maux aura souffert.

The new city contemplating a condemnation,
The bird of prey offers itself to the heavens.
After victory pardon to the captives,
Cremona and Mantua will have suffered great evils.

Century 1, Quatrain 87
Ennosigee feu du centre de terre,
Fera trembler autour de cité neuue
Deux gras rochers long têps feront la guerre,
Puis Arethuse rougira nouueau fleuue.

Earth-shaking fire from the center of the earth.
Will cause the towers around the New City to shake,
Two great rocks for a long time will make war,
And then Arethusa will color a new river red.

Century 6, Quatrain 97
Cinq & quarante degrés ciel bruslera
Feu approcher de la grand cité neuue (neufue)
Instant grand flamme esparse sautera
Quand on voudra des Normans faire preuue.

At forty-five degrees, the sky will burn,
Fire approaches the great new city,
Immediately a huge, scattered flame leaps up
When they want to have verification from the Normans.

Century 9, Quatrain 92
Le Roy voudra en cité neufue entrer,
Par ennemis expugner l'on viendra
Captif libere faux dire & perpetrer,
Roy dehors estre, loin d'ennemis tiendra.

The king will want to enter the new city,
Through its enemies they will come to subdue it
Captives liberated to speak and act falsely,
King to be outside, he will keep far from the enemy.

Century 10, Quatrain 49
Jardin du monde aupres du cité neufue,
Dans le chemin des montaignes cauees,
Sera saisi et plongé dans la Cuue,
Beuuant par force eaux soulfre enuenimees.

Garden of the world near the new city,
In the path of the hollow mountains,
It will be seized and plunged into the Vat,
Drinking by force the waters poisoned by sulfur.

I don't speak French, but the translations offered above appear to be fairly close (there are many on this board who do speak the language, and can verify). There may be some literal translations that people might insist should be symbolic, but my point is that before this disaster, most Nostradamus experts predicted that the quatrains above predicted a great earthquake or ICBM attack destroying New York City. Now, all of a sudden, the words have shifted ever so slightly to fit Tuesday's events. In addition, the New City quatrains describe the fall of the New City...my questions to the New Yorkers on this board is: has your city been destroyed? Or is NYC going to come from this disaster -- this act of war -- stronger than before?

Don't believe everything you hear...in Nostradamus or Titanic. Don't even believe me -- double-check everything I said yourself. I've been wrong before and could be now. Do your own research instead of perpetuating myths.

Parks

P.S. And why does the "new city" have to be New York, anyway? Experts cite the reference to 45 deg latitude. NYC is around 41 deg latitude, Maine is 45 deg. Close enough, some say. Or is just people seeing what they want to see?

R

Rolf Vonk

Parks, I've heard this story too today. I'm not saying if it is true or not. I know there is a version of this text floating around, but I'm not sure if it is a little changed. The real text of Nostradamus in the last part of the paragraph used to be:

"In the City of God there will be a great thunder. Two broter torn apart by Chaos. While the fortress endures, the great leader will succumb."

'Nostradamus-experts' translate City of God as New York, case there live so many Jews in the Big Apple. Two brothers is translated as the Twin Tower and the fort that endures the thunder is the Pentagon.

I'm not sure what to think about this all. I know Nostradamus can be interpreted in many different ways.

Rolf.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Remember this fiasco?
L'an mil neuf cens nonante neuf sept mois
Du ciel viendra grand Roy deffraieur
Resusciter le grand Roy d'Angolmois
Auant apres Mars regner par bon heur.

The year 1999, seven months,
from the sky will come a great King of terror
To bring back to life the great King of The Mongols
Before and after Mars to reign by good luck.

Which, somehow, the new age and National Enquirer crowd interpreted as being an apocalyptic reference to Libya. Usually only the first two lines were quoted for dramatic effect. Don't put too much energy into worrying about the whole Nostradamian idiocy. However, James Randi's The Mask of Nostradamus (Prometheus, 1993) is a wonderful study of the topic from a rationalist perspective and is well worth tracking down.

Nov 22, 2000
Parks, There was a programme on t.v. here in Britain a good few years back in which the predictions of Nostradamus were analysed. The quote we are seeing is literally one tiny entry compared to the rest of his ramblings - 99% of which were proven never to have happened! Had he been a modern day fortune teller he wouldn't have made much of a living for himself!

Geoff

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
What little sense there was in Nostradamus referred to places and events of his own time and might have meant something to the rulers of the day. For instance, the New City was Naples, which began as Neopolis when the Greeks founded it.

Being total ratbags, the people who go in for this BS think nothing of altering the text to suit themselves and always after the event. Those who are spreading the e-mail deserve contempt, as they upset those least able to cope with the disaster.

Mar 3, 1998
Dave,

I agree with everything said here, but most people don't like to hear that Internet interpretations of Nostradamus aren't profound. I used the opportunity instead to demonstrate how far Nostradamus' prose has been altered from the original text to fit the current situation. "City of york," indeed!

But our voices will be drowned out by the thousands who want desparately to see prophecy fulfilled. The same people will insist on maintaining the myth of prophecy in Morgan Robertson's "Wreck of the Titan," even though that story bears no resemblence to the story of Titanic. Hitner, Hitler...Titan, Titanic. The occasional coincidence does not a true prophecy make, because a true prophecy must accurately foretell the sense or outcome of a future event. Otherwise, what good is it?

Parks

E

Elaine R Barnes

I, personally, will have faith and belief in God.
Elaine

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
This may be a long shot but I just noticed something. If you've already gone over this, I missed it and I apologize. You don't suppose someone, with bad French skills, saw this phrase:

"L'an mil neuf cens nonante neuf sept mois"

as listed by James and thought THIS meant:

"In the year of the new century and nine months"

As for instance, "neuf cens" = new century and "sept" = September.

Just a thought.

Best regards,
Cook

Grover3

Dec 22, 2016
"At forty-five degrees, the sky will burn,
Fire approaches the great new city,
Immediately a huge, scattered flame leaps up
When they want to have verification from the Normans."

"New City" at forty five degrees is Belgrade, capital of Serbia.

"The year 1999, seven months,
from the sky will come a great King of terror
To bring back to life the great King of The Mongols
Before and after Mars to reign by good luck."

This is about bombing of Serbia by NATO in 1999.(Kosovo crisis)

"Mabus will soon die, then will come,
A horrible undoing of people and animals,
At once one will see vengeance,
One hundred powers, thirst, famine, when the comet will pass."

"The antichrist very soon annihilates the three,
twenty-seven years his war will last.
The unbelievers are dead, captive, exiled;
with blood, human bodies, water and red hail covering the earth."

The Third Antichrist Mabus or Laus Masbu is former president of Serbia - Slobodan Milosevic.
The epicenter of all these events is Yugoslav crisis, which remains yet unsolved.