Not British subjects among Lusitania's crew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hildo Thiel

Nov 5, 2000
Hello,

Is it known how many of Lusitania's Crew members were no British subjects. For my list I am looking for some information concerning the nationality of the crew members.I know that most of them had the British nationality, but there were some other nationalities among them.

Mrs. Enderson, the matron and her assistant Mrs. Jorgenson for example, were from a nothern European country. Which I do not remember, I believe it was the first from Norway and the second from Denmark. Bot I do not know it for sure.
Some cooks have names that not sound very English, for example Nussbaum, Betrand, Seurre, Ulgar and Ottino. And Baker Gytenbeek.

Regards,

Hildo

Apr 24, 2002
Hildo- i have the following

Lears Ulgar- Spanish
AA Sternberg- Finnish
JF Paton Brazilian
Adolf Nussbaum Swiss
Margta McCormac- Indian
Thomas Kelly- Newfoundland(St Johns)
James Hodder- Newfoundland(St Johns)
Anna Enderson- Norwegian
Anton Giftenburg- Dutch
Carrie Jorgenson- Danish
Gontes Cloules- Maltese
Robert Henry Cannon- Newfoundland(St Johns)John Anderson (AB)Norwegian
John M Cach- Kingston Jamaica
E Seurre- French

hope this is ok

Cliff

Hildo Thiel

Nov 5, 2000
Hello Cliff,

Thank you for the information. It helps me a bit furher on my Lusitania list.
I see my that I had the nationality of Mrs. Enderson and Mrs. Jorgenson correctly remembered. And I Thought so that Mr. Giftenburg (or Gytenbeek) had the Dutch nationality.

Regards,

Hildo

Dec 13, 1998
Hello again, please note that 'Sterberg' or 'Sternberg' cannot possibly be spelt correctly in the lists. Such a name simply doesn't exist (to my knowledge, at least); it must surely be 'í–sterberg' or possibly 'Stjernberg', I don't know which.

Best regards,

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.