Notes for Future Filmmakers

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
In Shaw's "Pygmalion" "Professor Henry Higgins" remarks that there must have been many regional dialects that he could identify , " Even down to the street " so there must have many different ones amongst the crew of the Titanic.
I found this to be true in the USN in my first experience in "Boot Camp". In the "Boot Camp Company" were there many - from the "youse guys" from the North-East to the "y'all's" of those from the South.....and several others.

Another "Navy Movie Gripe" is a scene from the movie "The Caine Mutiny.". A crew member is delivering a message to Captain Queeg and is rather sloppy looking in his uniform. The Captain remarks about this. But in real life in the USN that conduct would have never been tolerated in the first place. This one scene (perhaps the only one ! LOL ) in which I am in agreement with the Captain's remarks. LOL.
You always tried to look your best when you were in the presence of the Captain. Just another incidence of how Hollywood portrayed the ordinary sailor. The Division Officer or Petty Officer would never have permitted a member of his Division looking like that.
From personal experience I was the Senior Petty Officer in charge during the end of my enlistment. I never would have sent one my men to the Captain looking like that !
Did you like "The Sand Pebbles" ?

On the accents of the Titanic's crew, for a bit of fun compare Charles Lightoller's actual voice (from the recording of his 1930s BBC broadcast) to that of the actors who played him in the 52', 58 and 97' films. Night and day ! Lightoller was known for his good sense of humour and would probably have found it funny.

May 3, 2005
Unfortunately I haven't seen "Sand Pebbles". I guess I'm not much of a movie fan.
Probably not really accurate as far as the accent.......but - another one of my big "IMHO" 's (LOL)... Edmund Purdom in the 1953 "Titanic" was the best Lightoller.
Also when I was in USN Boot Camp nobody ever yelled at us recruits like they do in those movies. Our Company Commander, a QMC, was rather soft-spoken and had a good sense of humor. Maybe we were just lucky......but maybe things have changed ?
Matter of fact I never heard of any of that "yelling* at sea or ashore during my enlistment.

Last edited:
May 3, 2005
Maybe someone is going to ask "What Navy were you in, anyway ?????
About the "yelling" thing.
I did get reprimanded in Boot Camp for having somewhat dingy "Whites".....but I didn't get yelled at or chewed out in front of everyone.

Just got called out and told I should do better. I got busy, scrubbed and bleached everything and got back in his good graces .:)

May 3, 2005
The point is that maybe at least some of us would like to see more realism in the people in the movies.
But apparently that would make too dull a movie for the movie makers.
I don't think you can take them at fault for making "things" (like Titanic itself ) look as real as possible - the 1997 "Titanic" for example.
But the people in those movies ?

May 3, 2005
Just another curious thought.
Which brings up a question for anyone who has ever been in any Navy or any Boot Camp.
Would you say the yelling loud "chewing out" you see in the movies would or would not be typical of real life for a recruit, especially so for a recruit in any Navy, especially in the USN.
The reason I ask is from my own experience in the USN, with the soft spoken and patient CPO's ?
Were those exceptions to the rule and just all the loud and chewing out the usual shown in the movies is the usual ?

Nov 14, 2005
My company commander was a PO1. He was not a screamer or yeller. He would dress you down if it was needed but not in a beligerant way. When I went thru boot they had a program where they would hold over former recuits and make them CC aides. Some of them were real jerks. They hadn't even been in the fleet yet and they thought they were General Patton or someone. When I was there they had a company of Iranian recruits going thru our boot camp. They were future officers in the Iranian Navy. They had their own chow line (no pork stuff...ect.). They had their own way of doing things...very harsh treatment. Across the fence was the marine boot camp. We would watch them and were glad we joined the navy...LOL.

May 3, 2005
I think the bottom line is that we shouldn't look for realism in a movie unless it's a documentary but expect it not to be accurate if it's a dramatic production.
In other words just take it for entertainment even if it's not exactly accurate in all details.
This would probably even include ANTR ! :)

Steven-
Our experiences must have been very similar !

Some trivia items .:
At the time I went through Boot camp they had a " Company 909 " where they sent mis-fits who were exceptionally bad in mis-conduct during Boot Camp.
We were advised to steer clear of that barracks.
We had one guy in our Company who ended up there.
I don't know whether they were trying to re-train them or give them dishonorable discharges ?

Also during ET School when we were studying Radar, there was a strobe called "OSC" for "On Ship's Course" which showed the Ship's heading on the Radar PPI Scope.
They were also looking for those interested in going to "OCS" ( Officer Candidate School) . I knew some who did.
Some persons were always getting confused with "OSC" or "OCS". LOL

Speaking of General Patton , there was a Titanic movie with George C. Scott.
I got the impression that George S. Patton, Jr. was in command of RMS Titanic instead of Edward J. Smith ! LOL.

Last edited:

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
I think the bottom line is that we shouldn't look for realism in a movie unless it's a documentary but expect it not to be accurate if it's a dramatic production.
In other words just take it for entertainment even if it's not exactly accurate in all details.
This thread is about future filmmakers who might want to try and be as accurate as they can though.

Although I have a number of criticisms about the accuracy, James Cameron did at least take a good shot at it.

Reactions: 1 user

Rancor

Jun 23, 2017
This would probably even include ANT
It should be possible to have both. HBO's Chernobyl demonstrates how it should be done.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 14, 2005
It should be possible to have both. HBO's Chernobyl demonstrates how it should be done.
This thread is about future filmmakers who might want to try and be as accurate as they can though.

Although I have a number of criticisms about the accuracy, James Cameron did at least take a good shot at it.
No doubt that Camerons film was the best as for how the ship was recreated. With todays CGI and more powerful computers they could probably make an even more accurate one. As for the story no matter how they told it I'm sure it would generate controversy.

Nov 14, 2005

Steven-
Our experiences must have been very similar !

Some trivia items .:
At the time I went through Boot camp they had a " Company 909 " where they sent mis-fits who were exceptionally bad in mis-conduct during Boot Camp.
We were advised to steer clear of that barracks.
We had one guy in our Company who ended up there.
I don't know whether they were trying to re-train them or give them dishonorable discharges ?

Also during ET School when we were studying Radar, there was a strobe called "OSC" for "On Ship's Course" which showed the Ship's heading on the Radar PPI Scope.
They were also looking for those interested in going to "OCS" ( Officer Candidate School) . I knew some who did.
Some persons were always getting confused with "OSC" or "OCS". LOL

Speaking of General Patton , there was a Titanic movie with George C. Scott.
I got the impression that George S. Patton, Jr. was in command of RMS Titanic instead of Edward J. Smith ! LOL.
That was the tv mini-series. It was kind of bad but Catherine Zeta Jones was easy on the eyes so I made it thru it...:p. Robot Check
When I went thru boot it was called the POSMO company. Positive Motivation. It was for guys that really screwed up but if you convinced the Captain you really wanted to do better and stay in the navy they would send you there. They hammered the hell out of those guys.

dave257

Oct 20, 2018
Swansea, Wales
Not a Titanic film as such I know, but I'd really like to see a movie made about Olympic. Just my opinion, but I think Old Reliable has been left out a bit. Plenty of events from her career to choose from

-Collision with HMS Hawke
-Rescuing crew from HMS Audacious
-Ramming and sinking U-103
-Colliding with and sinking the Nantucket lightship

I don't know if any of those events constitute enough material for a full length film, but I think Olympic deserves a bit of movie magic in some way.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
If they make another version soon of The Great Gatsby, they could include a shot of the Olympic entering or leaving New York Harbour in a Establishing or Long Shot. Daisy Buchanan does say this:

DAISY BUCHANAN: “I looked outdoors for a minute, and it’s very romantic outdoors. There’s a bird on the lawn that I think must be a nightingale come over on the Cunard or White Star Line. He’s singing away ——

Similarly, I would like to see Oceanic incorporated into a film or story somewhere...

May 3, 2005
I suppose you could say Journalism was one of my "minors" in college.
I wasn't much into fictiion "Just the facts, ma'am ! "
However I did have an idea for a story about "Rose Dewitt-Bukater" 's life between the time she left the Carpathia in New York to the time she was back as "Old Rose" on the Academic Keldysh. Mr.and Mrs.Ben Calvert (of the 1997. "Titanic") meet Mr. and Mrs. Gifford Rogers (of the 1953 "Titanic) on the Maiden Voyage of RMS Queen Mary in 1936. ,The last line in that movie would be. " Yes....I would like to see my drawing !" :)

(Gifford Rogers and Annette Sturges eventually marry. They have two sons named Norman and Richard. In another scene they visit The Texas Centennial Exposition in Dallas in 1936. The boys visit Gene Autry and get his autograph during the filming of the movie "The Big Show".)

(Ben Calvert and Rose Dewitt-Bukater eventually marry. They have two sons named Thomas and Edward. They make trips to visit Hollywood and meet Gloria Stuart in 1934 on "Here Comes The Navy" with James Cagney and in 1938 on "Rebecca Of Sunnybrook Farm" with Shirley Temple. )

Last edited:

T Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
I'd like a scene showing 3rd Officer Pitman in Boat 5 wanting to go back to try to pull people out of the water and the passengers in his boat objecting. They show Margaret Brown and Robert Hitchens arguing in Boat 6, so why not show Pitman and the others in Boat 5?

drjamess

Sep 24, 2019
Maryland
I would absolutely love to see a new Titanic movie. I know Unsinkable is coming out next year but that is going to focus on the aftermath and the inquiries I assume. I would love to see a prequel that deals with the maiden voyage and or sinking. Things I would love to see in this movie.

Ship's list
Accurate breakup
Captain Smith behaving honorably, being strong to the very end
Accurate sinking
Focusing more on second class and crew (previous films always focused on third and first class)
Poop deck not being swamped with people during the final plunge
Nearer my God to Thee (with vocals! Like in ANTR.)

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
I'd like a scene showing 3rd Officer Pitman in Boat 5 wanting to go back to try to pull people out of the water and the passengers in his boat objecting. They show Margaret Brown and Robert Hitchens arguing in Boat 6, so why not show Pitman and the others in Boat 5?
The problem with Bert Pitman is that by being put in charge of the second boat to leave he is removed from the main events taking place aboard the ship.

You could however show the moment where Murdoch tells Pitman he is in command of No. 5, sticks out his hand and says "good bye old man, good luck" in a very strange, somewhat chilling way that Pitman is taken aback by. Murdoch knows it's unlikely he will ever meet Pitman again.

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Would anyone like to see a ninety minute drama-documentary about the search for, the eventual discovery of the Titanic and the controversy over salvage ?

One problem however is that a couple of the people likely to be portrayed in such a film are known to get a bit touchy and phone their lawyer when it comes to criticism of them.