Notre Dame Fire

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
April the 15th now will be a day to not just mark the day the Titanic sank, but the day we lost one of the greatest symbols of Western Civilization in Notre Dame Cathedral.

There was thankfully no loss of life associated with this catastrophe, but the symbolic meaning of this is identical to that of the Titanic. That *nothing* that man in his wisdom can build, whether a great ocean liner or a great cathedral is eternal

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Latest media reports are that the structure will survive, but the roof and interior seem to have been ravaged.

What an awful situation, especially with Easter coming up on Sunday.

Nov 14, 2005
This is sad for such a historical structure. Seems to be a construction accident at this point. Maybe they can rebuild her. Won't be the same and all the art and artifacts can't be replaced but I hope they can. Much of her was not 800 years old as she had been modified and undergone many restorations. Anyway I hope they can as alot of the stone work is original. Yes April 15th has had its share. Lincoln dies from assination, Titanic sinks, Boston bombing and now this. Sad.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
It didn't help matters that wood was being used in a lot of places which had used stone before, such as the roof as well as the interior. The investigation into this is one I intend to follow as closely as the headlines will allow. With all that was going on with restoration in progress and wood being used where it shouldn't have been, the likeliest cause is a moment of simple carelessness. It wouldn't have taken much.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Our ABC Classic has just played Faure's Requiem. It appears that one of the biggest losses is the mighty organ, which was in the best shape it has been for some time. Today we are all French.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
This is sad for such a historical structure. Seems to be a construction accident at this point. Maybe they can rebuild her. Won't be the same and all the art and artifacts can't be replaced but I hope they can. Much of her was not 800 years old as she had been modified and undergone many restorations. Anyway I hope they can as a lot of the stone work is original. Yes April 15th has had its share. Lincoln dies from assassination, Titanic sinks, Boston bombing and now this. Sad.
Add to that the Hillsborough disaster of 1989.

Dawnf28

Apr 15, 2019
Mississippi
This is very sad, although they say they can salvage it the photos look horrific...all of that beauty gone in an instant. I read that a priest said that the artifacts were saved and that most of them had been removed while the renovation was taking place.

Nov 14, 2005
Add to that the Hillsborough disaster of 1989.
I had to look that up as it didn't register with me. But as soon as I saw it I remebered it. Yes that was bad. I usually start my day looking at today in history on the History Channel website. I was surprised they didn't list it.

Oliver K

Jul 8, 2018
No doubt they will rebuild this, since Notre Dame is of historical importance, 100% if it was a modern building, they would have just bulldozed what was left of it, with this they know how special it is and will, for however many years, it most likely will be rebuilt.

With that said, i bid you all a very peaceful (and holy) Easter Sunday

TOWER3

Jun 11, 2019
Garland, TX
The interior mostly survived as well. Also, how long will it take before the public will be allowed to climb to the top of the bell towers to see the gargoyles up close.

Emilie

Aug 10, 2013
Saint-Étienne, France
It's really strange that the Notre-Dame fire occurred the same day as the Titanic sank.
We thought the cathedral would be with us forever, we realized it might die. Luckily she's seriously ill, but saved.

TOWER3

Jun 11, 2019
Garland, TX
It is possible Notre Dame Cathedral might not be saved because the scaffolding might collapse and cause further damage to the cathedral. The vaults are currently the on!y thing holding up the cathedral and full restoration work will not be able to begin until 2021.

Nov 14, 2005
I saw them talking about this on the news. I dont know how things work in europe. But it might come down to rebuilding the whole thing and incorporating as much of the old material they can use in the new constuction. They were discussing that. Where I live if you leave up just one wall of the original and build from there its grandfathered as an original structure. A lot of people redo their old fishing/hunting cabins with that method here. A bit of legal trickery I guess but it works to get around a lot the new property codes and tax stuff.

TOWER3

Jun 11, 2019
Garland, TX
Possibly take down the walls to just below the vault level, leave the towers up, and rebuilt from the vault level up with as much original material as possible.

Nov 14, 2005
They should probably wait a few years to see if things calm down. Otherwise could be just waste of money. Churches are now a target of the loonie marxist anarchists. They'll just burn it down again if things go bad.

TOWER3

Jun 11, 2019
Garland, TX
They should probably wait a few years to see if things calm down. Otherwise could be just waste of money. Churches are now a target of the loonie marxist anarchists. They'll just burn it down again if things go bad.
Nantes Cathedral was the second fire to occur in a major French cathedral in the past two years.