Notre Dame Fire

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
April the 15th now will be a day to not just mark the day the Titanic sank, but the day we lost one of the greatest symbols of Western Civilization in Notre Dame Cathedral.

There was thankfully no loss of life associated with this catastrophe, but the symbolic meaning of this is identical to that of the Titanic. That *nothing* that man in his wisdom can build, whether a great ocean liner or a great cathedral is eternal

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Latest media reports are that the structure will survive, but the roof and interior seem to have been ravaged.

What an awful situation, especially with Easter coming up on Sunday.

Nov 14, 2005
This is sad for such a historical structure. Seems to be a construction accident at this point. Maybe they can rebuild her. Won't be the same and all the art and artifacts can't be replaced but I hope they can. Much of her was not 800 years old as she had been modified and undergone many restorations. Anyway I hope they can as alot of the stone work is original. Yes April 15th has had its share. Lincoln dies from assination, Titanic sinks, Boston bombing and now this. Sad.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
It didn't help matters that wood was being used in a lot of places which had used stone before, such as the roof as well as the interior. The investigation into this is one I intend to follow as closely as the headlines will allow. With all that was going on with restoration in progress and wood being used where it shouldn't have been, the likeliest cause is a moment of simple carelessness. It wouldn't have taken much.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Our ABC Classic has just played Faure's Requiem. It appears that one of the biggest losses is the mighty organ, which was in the best shape it has been for some time. Today we are all French.

Reactions: David G. Brown

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
This is sad for such a historical structure. Seems to be a construction accident at this point. Maybe they can rebuild her. Won't be the same and all the art and artifacts can't be replaced but I hope they can. Much of her was not 800 years old as she had been modified and undergone many restorations. Anyway I hope they can as a lot of the stone work is original. Yes April 15th has had its share. Lincoln dies from assassination, Titanic sinks, Boston bombing and now this. Sad.
Add to that the Hillsborough disaster of 1989.

Dawnf28

Apr 15, 2019
Mississippi
This is very sad, although they say they can salvage it the photos look horrific...all of that beauty gone in an instant. I read that a priest said that the artifacts were saved and that most of them had been removed while the renovation was taking place.

Nov 14, 2005
Add to that the Hillsborough disaster of 1989.
I had to look that up as it didn't register with me. But as soon as I saw it I remebered it. Yes that was bad. I usually start my day looking at today in history on the History Channel website. I was surprised they didn't list it.

Jul 8, 2018
No doubt they will rebuild this, since Notre Dame is of historical importance, 100% if it was a modern building, they would have just bulldozed what was left of it, with this they know how special it is and will, for however many years, it most likely will be rebuilt.

With that said, i bid you all a very peaceful (and holy) Easter Sunday