Now just why was the Californian left out of the 1997 Titanic

Nov 30, 2000
Now just WHY was the Californian left out of the 1997 "Titanic"?
I do know a sequence was filmed about the "Shut up, shut up" event (a dramitization which was somewhat factually FUBARed, I understand) but wasn't put in the final cut, and, of course, the rockets are set off during the sinking sequence, and it was claimed the light on the horizon was there in that sequence, BUT THAT WAS IT.
NOTHING ELSE about the Californian was in that production!
Was there Lordite influence like with "SOS Titanic", or because fictonal hokum ate up too much celluloid, that caused the C. to be left out?
At any rate, this yawing factual gap allowed the Californian controversey to escape the spotlight during the crazy T. mania wave of two years ago. I can just hear the Lordites sighing with relief regarding that fact.
The only recent Californian article I can recall is the one that was in "Sea Classics" sometime last year. I do not know of ONE WORD about ol' Stanely Lord and his ship being mentioned ANYWHERE in the media two years ago. Guess they were too busy wasting time with more superflous, facile things like movie hype and all that blah.

Richard K.

Mar 3, 1998
Personally, I wouldn't be bold enough to put the Californian on film, as long as the story didn't require it (and Cameron's plot didn't). I don't believe the Californian's role in the Titanic disaster is firm enough to commit to dramatisation. Goodness knows there's enough controversy in what Cameron DID put in the movie without adding the pro-/anti-Lordite argument.

There WAS one notable mention of the Californian in the media earlier this year...as I'm sure the guy who didn't know Californian from Carpathia on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" will tell you.

Parks

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
As I recall,about the only allusion to the Californian in the film was a part where Captain Smith said "God help you" while staring at the nonmoving lights on the horizon.

As Tracy and Sparks pointed out, the theatrical cut still made for a helluva long film. A little over three hours. Quite a bit of footage shot for additional scenes ended up on the cutting room floor.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dec 2, 2000
I am no expert on any movie trust me, but I think that the Titanic Captain in ANTR says the "God help you" line. I do not recall that line in Cameron's movie, but I could be wrong on that one.

Dec 2, 2000
Okay, so I get all the right answers to Moviw questions when I am not on the right thread to answer it....do I get the cherry fizzies anyway Shelley?
happy.gif

Maureen.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
A helluva lot was left out of Cameron's opus. A certain seafaring man got a friend to edit the tape down until it contained only historical material. He ended up with 25 minutes.