NS SAVANNAH

D

David Bubb

Hi all, didn't see a thread for this, so sorry if it exists and I overlooked it.

Anyway, I forget where it was that I saw it( probably here somewhere), but the other day I read an article about the SAVANNAH being towed and tied up somewhere in Canton,MD, near Baltimore. I'm sure someone here has more info on that. The article said the ship may be there for up to 3 yrs, but didn't mention much beyond that as far as any intended future use.

Any pics or details of a more exact location would be appreciated. Since Baltimore isn't that far from me I'd like to see how close I could get just to snap a few photos of my own.

Thanks!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I recall posting a couple of articles in the Museum News thread on this. In any event, don't count on getting to close because the next step on the agenda is to remove the reactor and some of the machinary with it. For obvious reasons, the security is going to be very tight.

Mar 19, 2008
I have a question for the experts on the dinnerware used on the Savannah. I recently found at a flea market some pieces of Mayer China with the atomic symbol of a central nucleus and orbiting electrons. There was a cup and saucer and a little milk pitcher. The date mark on the bottom indicated it was made in 1960. I understand that the ship made its maiden voyage in 1962. I have also seen pieces with the atomic symbol but also the ships name next to it, NS Savannah. Those pieces were made in 1964. The pieces I found made in 1960 did not have the name NS Savannah on them only the atomic symbol. Can anyone explain this discrepancy.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>The pieces I found made in 1960 did not have the name NS Savannah on them only the atomic symbol. Can anyone explain this discrepancy<<

They may not have been made for the Savannah. Remember, this was the '60's and there was quite the obsession with The Bomb as well as anything else atomic. This set may have been crafted with that in mind.

E

Ellen Grace Butland

Good grief, does this ship still exist. My brother got a model of her to build, and he was not interested in ships. I was, and I remember going all shades of envious green.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Good grief, does this ship still exist.<<

Yes. For the longest time, she was a part of the Patriots Point Maritime Museum but she was eventually removed and laid up in the James River anchorage. At present, she's being cleaned up and will ultimately have her reactor removed. The hope is that somebody will eventually take her on as a museum, but the economy being what it is, the lack of takers really comes as no surprise.

Tom Bates

Aug 16, 2002
Hi, i had a chance to visit the Ns Savannah a few months ago, it was a great tour got to see the engine room, bridge, galley, bridge, and machinery control room. There is hope to decontaminate the reactor and open up the space as pat of the museum, at this time though it is not known if that would happen or not. I also got to take photos and i received some 500+ engineering drawings of the ship. This is a photo of the control room
dscn5556.jpg
i have quite a large collection of information on the design of the machinery. if any one has any questions about it i will try to answer. - Tom

Reactions: 1 user

Tom Bates

Aug 16, 2002
Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Seattle Times:

Celebrated nuclear ship now a relic
quote:

BALTIMORE – Tucked behind a ruined grain elevator at a pier along an industrial stretch of Baltimore's waterfront lies a still-gleaming white vessel that was once one of the nation's proudest maritime achievements – the only nuclear cargo and passenger ship ever built in the United States.

She's the N.S. Savannah, a floating time capsule from the mid-20th century that has made Baltimore her retirement home.
More at http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2015831604_nukeship07.html

Oct 28, 2000
Michael --

Insider question: Who was second officer of the NSS Savannah? You know him well.

The nuclear ship is named after the steamboat S.S. Savannah which made the first powered trip across the Atlantic. The home of the man who was behind the steamboat lived in the city of Savannah, GA. His home is now the Museum of Ships And The Sea. It houses a powerful collection of ship models from all ages -- including a huge diorama of Titanic sinking.

-- David G. Brown