Ocean Liner Models

R

Richard K. Mason

Hello To All! Can anybody tell me if the following liners appear in either plastic, metal,
or paper form? If so, where and how can I get them? If not, are there any plans to produce any of them in the future? A}. Andrea Doria B}. Empress of Ireland C}. Carpathia D}. Morro Castle
E}. Vestris F}. Stockholm. Non-liners Edmund Fitzgerald, Robert S. Lykes, German Raider Atlantis, and the General Slocum..Thanks A Million! Richard

B

Brent Holt

There are not many plastic ocean liner model kits available, unfortunately. I have a Mauretania and United States model that I assembled years ago. I also have a Queen Mary and Titanic model that I never worked on. (I haven't done a model in 6 years. I got tired of it)
I believe there is a Canberra model around, as well.
Brent

C

Craig Thomas

I have seen plastic models of the United States, Queen Elizabeth and QE2 in a little souvenir shop on the Queen Mary. They were
$60 a piece, yikes! Also i have seen metal models of the Bremen, Kronsprincesin Cecilie and Normandie in a mail order catalog, those were in the hundreds of dollars.

M

Mikael Jonsson

I saw a plastic model of the ship "Stockholm" in a shop here in Sweden. I think you can order it on the net. Try google.

mike

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
Richard,
There are at least two models of Edmund Fitzgerald that I can think of off hand, both resin kits from Commander Series Models in two scales, 1:350 ($250) and 1:700 ($75).

You could also try The Debris Field, which caters to ocean liner modeling.

Brent,
There is a Canberra model from Airfix. It's more or less accurate, but requires some work to get some areas right. Russell Wild produces some custom decals for this kit, as well as Queen Elizabeth.

This is post #534. I am like the Queen Mary!

Josh.

R

Richard K. Mason

Mikael, Josh, and Craig;

Thanks for the info. I tried to find that "Stockholm" model on Google but no luck. Can you give more details? Josh, the "Fitz" model looks good but I'm looking for some company like Revell, or Glencoe to put one out in a plastic version. The "Debris Field" is a nice site but doesn't seem to offer anything for sale. I'll keep hoping for releases in the future. Craig, my recent purchase of the "QE2" in 1/600 scale was $20. Is the one you mentioned 1/350 scale?

Take care,
Richard

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
Richard,
I've never heard of a plastic kit of the Fitzgerald. You're much more likely to find a kit available in resin than in plastic. The reason is cost of production. Plastic kits cost more to create, and as such are intended for long-term releases. The current 1:350 Titanic kit has been in production since the 70's. Resin kits, on the other hand, are more expensive because the molds only last for a batch of around 100 models or so. As a result, plastic kits are cheaper, more readily available, but in a smaller range of subjects, dictated by what sells (hence so many Titanic kits). They have to redeem the costly molds. Resin kits, being a limited number, can cover a much wider range, are easier to produce but cost more since the molds only last a short time.

I think the resin Fitzgerald is the only model of the ship you're going to find, and I've had my eyes open in the past for one.

The Debris Field does not sell anything, but reviews products and includes articles on building and such. The message board there has people who could help you better to locate what you may be looking for.

The larger Queen Elizabeth 2 kit is produced by Gunze Sangyo and is 1:450 scale.

Josh.

L

lewis beacham

Hello

I am building a scratch model of the RMS Aquitania out of card.
It floats because i sealed it with insulation tape!!
When i have finished i will send some picture (if i can)

From
Lewis Beacham