Ocean Liner Models

Aug 31, 2004
Why is it so hard to find models of ocean liners? I go on line and in hobby shops, and all the have are Titanic, the two Queens, and maybe the Lusitania (if you're lucky). Why are there no ship models anywhere? Can anyone suggest a good place to buy models of italian, french, or relatively famous british (but obscured by Titanic) liners?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
It's probably just a question of popularity. The people who offer model kits are just as tied to the realities of market economics as any other business and they aren't about to offer kits that don't appeal to a very large market.

Jan 18, 2005
Hi Matthew,

I will send you the emailaddress of a firm which do good models (Normandie and Rex..), but Im now on holiday, so don´t have my favourites at hand.
The models are expensive though.... around 2.500 US dollars..

start saving...

grtz R

Jan 4, 2005
Does anyone know if they plan on creating an Andrea Doria model at any time? I have the Titanic, Lusitania, and Queen Mary thus far and am working on the SS United States and Queen Mary 2, but to see a model of the Andrea Doria or even Empress of Ireland would be something I'd want to get my hands on.

Eddie T Petruskevich
http://westphalia101.tripod.com

Jim Hathaway

Dec 18, 2004
Probably your best chance for an Andrea Doria would be in Resin, it would be a pretty small market, so I doubt an injection molded kit would be profitable.
Resin kits can be produced on a table top and run the range from poor to magnificent,rivaling an injection kit depending on who produces them.
I was at a hobby shop last month, and I saw a newer injection kit from Korea of the Oreana, so occasionally some companies may be willing to take a chance.
I think in Oreana's case, the ship was tied up in China, and they might have viewed that as a market.

Bruce B Chin

Mar 19, 2005
To find good ocean liner models, my best advice is to go through either eBay or through your local hobby stores once a month. I've been a steadfast ocean liner buff for years and have found that staying close to the managers of you local stores pays off loads. The kits I know of out there for 1/600 scales are Airfix's Mauretania, QE2, Queen Mary 2 and Canberra. For 1/600 or 1/570, you have the Revell Queen Mary and Titanic. For 1/400, you have Glencoe Model's SS United States and SS France (which are harder to get, but again, check eBay regularly as they do pop up). There's also a 1/400 Revell Titanic. For 1/350 you have Minicraft's Titanic (get the updated kit which is more accurate) and the former Revell Lusitania, which is now Japanese owned and can be found on eBay. There is also an Oriana which is I believe a 1/400 scale and finaly, my ultimate challenge, the new Revell 1/400 Queen Mary 2. For the 1/350 and above, you can use diodes and string them throughout the ship, after lining it with aluminum foil to light the insides. I do this and add coins to the bottom to make them float. The ones that float best with coins (that aren't too top heavy) are the 1/600 QE and QM (since they're wider) and the 1/350 Titanic and 1/400 United States. This is probably more info than you'll ever want, but hope this helps! Good luck!

Bruce B Chin

Mar 19, 2005
PS - There's also an Italian company that puts out a 1/250 scale of the Titanic which I have yet to invest it. Here in the UK (US ex-pat here), it runs around £350 across the street from me at the hobby store. It's hard to find, but I'm sure you could get it less expensive elsewhere. It's made of wood and seems quite complex, so perhap I'll give it a go in like 10 years.;)