Oceanic and Olympic -- sisters?

ADeblois

Mar 18, 2012
Here is an interesting snippet of info I just read on The Great Ocean Liners website.

The article I was reading was about White Star's Oceanic (1899) and I came across this paragraph:

By 1890, the largest ship ever constructed in history was the Great Eastern from 1859. Since this vessel had gone to the scrapyards in 1888, and no other ship had been near the Great Eastern’s size, it was time to update ships so that they succeeded the Great Eastern. That was what Thomas Henry Ismay thought when he commissioned a new pair of ships from Harland and Wolff’s shipyard. They were supposed to be Oceanic and Olympic. With a length of over 700 feet these new ships would surpass the Great Eastern’s old record of 689 feet rather easily. Of course the tonnage of Great Eastern remained a record, for the White Star Lines new duo would only have a gross tonnage of slightly over 17,000 tons compared to the Great Eastern’s near 19,000. This would make the new ships the largest in existence, but not the largest in history.

I never knew that Oceanic (1899) was to have a sister called Olympic. I always thought she [Oceanic] was a solo ship. I always liked groups of ships, rather than individuals...they have that family resemblance so to speak...and Oceanic and Olympic would have made great sister ships.

As fate would have it, the Olympic, I fatefully learned, was cancelled to make way for the Big Four (Celtic, Cedric, Baltic and Adriatic). What a shame, she would have made a fine ship. Looking back, that would have meant White Star wouldn't have built the Olympic class ships in the early 1910s. In a way, I would love to have seen the first Olympic, but she would have been nothing compared to the 45,000-ton beauty that came out of Harland & Wolff in 1911...

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
The never-built Olympic was to have looked just like her sister, Oceanic II.
White Star wouldn't have built the Olympic class ships in the early 1910s.
More likely, the class after the Big Four would simply have had a different name.

ADeblois

Mar 18, 2012
Olympic (I)

The never-built Olympic was to have looked just like her sister, Oceanic II

So Olympic (I) would have looked like this...she would have been a beautiful ship.
3453607303_b7529a86e6_z.jpg

It's amazing how something built to be functional can have such grace and power to it...

3453607303_b7529a86e6_z.jpg