Oceanic III

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Scott,

quote:

Perhaps in the beginning, this ship was being considered as much more of a consort to the Olympic and Majestic in a traditional three-ship weekly service, where 21 to 23 knots would have been acceptable.
I tend to agree. Had the Oceanic had a service speed of even 25 knots, Majestic would have had trouble keeping pace -- as that was the speed of her fastest ever eastbound crossing set in the summer of 1925. When the Queen Mary was completed in 1936, Aquitania's new propellers helped to increase her average speed by over a knot, yet it was another heavily unbalanced schedule. One wonders what would have happened in the meantime, if Oceanic had been completed without a better-matched running mate?

Best wishes,

Mark.​

T

Timothy Trower

"One wonders what would have happened in the meantime, if Oceanic had been completed without a better-matched running mate?"

One wonders, indeed. So far in my research, I've not found one word on this subject. For the short term, at least, the Olympic and Majestic would have been good ships for the three ship weekly service. But would the Oceanic been fast enough to have one sister and the two share a weekly service between them? I'm afraid we'll never know -- I'd just love a crack at the private correspondence of some of the principals of the White Star Line and Harland & Wolff from this period.

Suffice it to say that the Homeric would have been assigned to another route or service.

Which of the two remaining ships would another Oceanic class ship replaced? The Majestic or the Olympic? (And if Olympic, why not name the new ship Olympic II?)

B

Brent Holt

If WS had gone ahead and planned a new 3 ship express service in the 1920s it would have been ill-conceived in my opinion. The technology was becoming available to reduce the number of liners to 2 on the main Atlantic run. The Bremen and Europa, under construction when Oceanic was being seriously contemplated, probably could have maintained the first 2 ship service if they had operated only from England to the U.S. (Although this would have made little sense for a German company)
I think it would have been best to build Oceanic III as a turbo-electeric liner with a cruising speed of over 28 knots. I am not convinced that diesel power was mature enough to power an express liner. Turbo electric would have offered several operational advantages and could have offered an acceptable middle-ground approach to the geared steam turbine and diesel plant.

Brent

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Timothy,

quote:

For the short term, at least, the Olympic and Majestic would have been good ships for the three ship weekly service. But would the Oceanic been fast enough to have one sister and the two share a weekly service between them?
I wish this was knowable. I agree with your comments about the three-ship service, but Oceanic would need to have been very fast indeed even if the Majestic's speed could have been increased somehow.

quote:

...Which of the two remaining ships would another Oceanic class ship replaced? The Majestic or the Olympic? (And if Olympic, why not name the new ship Olympic II?)
Although I have a soft spot for Olympic, I think Majestic would have been retained. If not in sentimental terms, in sheer size she was White Star's flagship in the 1920s. However, somehow I can't see Olympic being retired as early as the late 1920s. That said, it's hard to see what alternative service she might have been suited to? Cruising -- perhaps -- would have shown a profit in the depression years, yet she was hardly suited to warmer climates.

Best wishes,

Mark.​

Jul 26, 2006
Hello

I hate to spoil your fun but I am certain beyond all doubt that the model in the photo posted by Dave Gittins above is not of the mysterious Oceanic III, but of Belgenland of 1923.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Was'nt Belgenland's funnels taller than what is pictured? As Belgenland was created from another 'mysterious' unbuilt White Star liner Ceric, could it be a later attempt at recreating it? Where did you get information of it being the Belgenland?

Thanks

B

Brent Holt

That does not look like the Belgenland at all to me. It does look like a crude model of Oceanic III, though.

Jul 26, 2006
The funnels and masts have been sawed down to the same level (perhaps for storage purposes?), But I am certain the model is either Belgenland or her unbuilt sister 'Nederland'(H&W Yd No.469). The arrangement of the promenades and superstructures only match them. Oceanic would likely have had a streamlined single superstucture, and four screws (necessary for speeds in excess of 21 knots). Someone, somewhere has misidentified this model as oceanic.