Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Inger Sheil raised some questions about the Oceanic and it did left me thinking. I understand it didn't just sink, but was totally wrecked. What kind of condition was she originally found in? Is it like the Lusitania's current condition?

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Hallo, Michael -

Operating from a very dodgy memory here of a book I scanned while standing in Foyle's maritime section, so you can imagine how reliable this is ;-)

The salvors referred to finding her and seeing the rows where the portals located, and positively identifying the Oceanic. The book also made reference to not being able to relate the wreck as they saw it with photographs of the elegant WSL ship of the turn of the century. Chunks were also torn out of her propellers - damage from when she ran aground on the reef. There were some underwater photographs of large pieces of wreckage being brought up, also reproductions of photos like that in Stenson's book showing the ship run aground (pg. 246 1998 edition).

Would welcome any information on the wreck as it was found and the wreck (if anything remains) as it is today - as I mentioned on Jeff's list, I have a good deal of affection for this ship above all other liners.

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
A propellor blade from the Oceanic is on display at the entrance to the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum outside Belfast.

The last time I was there people were sitting around its base (it was upright) enjoying their lunch.

Regards

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.