OCEANOS

M

Mary S. Lynn

Well, here I am - a real novice who was surprised to see that the Oceanos wasn't listed on this thread. And I don't know much about it, either! This story has been on TV a few times, and generally tells how this cruise ship sank off the coast of Durban, South Africa. Helicopters were immediately sent out, but could only carry two passengers at a time off. Apparently the Greek Captain (what a guy!) was one of the first ones off the ship - with some of his crew - and the entertainment staff helped to organize the passengers for evacuation. The ship had such a bad list that it was impossible to stand erect. Everyone got off in time, and the sinking was filmed. I think the Captain was relieved of his command (rightly so) after trying to explain that he got off first in order to "seek help". I may have gotten some information wrong, so please feel free to correct me and add more.

"If life hands you lemons....throw them at someone"

M

Mary S. Lynn

Thanks so much for the link, Steve. Interesting pictures! I find the sinking of the Oceanos fascinating, because the entire thing was being filmed as it occurred. There were great shots of the passengers and crew literally trying to hold on, and the list of this ship was incredible. Thanks again! (Sorry it took me awhile - cable has been out for a week. Grrr...)

M

Mary S. Lynn

Hi, Breanna! Yep - that was his "excuse"! He claimed he had to be one of the first off to seek aid onshore and prepare for the evacuated passengers. Sure wouldn't want him in MY dinghy!

A

Alex McLean

While you were at my house, Bree, I should have shown you a documentary on the Oceanos Reece leant me. It is quite fascinating. I watched it while you were with me once, however, you were asleep in my room. I find it quite amazing, yet saddening to see the stern of the ship go up, as so many others have before, including the one we all know and love. The deck chairs all flew down from the stern, crashing into the supserstructure. Saddening is all I can say (and what about those hairstyles!!!!)
Next time, then, eh?
My best,
Alex

A

Andrew Johnston

i'm am an oceanos sinking lover... when i saw a documentary bout it interviewing Gwen and her mother who were the last in the helicopter line-up, i fell in love with the ship and the story..
guess it was too late cuz now shes gone... LOL well now you see .. by the way im building the oceanos outta lego... well it looks considerably like that cruise ship...

A

Andrew Johnston

so sorry to keep posting.. but i forgot to ask..

1) what line owned the oceanos?
2) website for cruise line?
3) what was the replacement ship?

M

Mary S. Lynn

Hmmm...."FAB"! Andrew, I haven't used that term since 1964, when the "Fab - Gear" rage was in its heyday! I paid a whopping (at the time) $6.50 to see the Beatles at Red Rocks Park in Colorado. Now...THAT was "FAB"!!

A

Andrew Johnston

Would anyone here be able to tell me how i can get video footage of the Oceanos?

(I have footage from a TV show on disasters it was featured in but i would like more!
happy.gif
)

A

Andrew Johnston

oceanosdive.com is amazing! a company dedicated to the ship and diving down to it..!

also i watched my footage of the OCEANOS sinking (similar to titanic.. just imagine footage of a cruise ship vertical WAY up in the air!)... the show was an action show called WITHOUT WARNING... i am researching into this TV show now...

R

Richard K. Mason

Hello Mary, Steve, and Andrew:

Hey! I tried to go to the above link twice and it says, "Page cannot be displayed"! What's up with that? I read a story about the Oceanos in a Reader's Digest article I still have and it was a sad yet facsinating drama to absorb. hope I can find that documentary somewhere in the future. BTW Mary, what was it like to see Das Beatles at the Red Rocks stadium? If you have the original ticket stub, it's worth quite a bit now! I had the chance to see them in Cinncinati in '66 but passed. What a Bummer on my part, huh?

Take care,
Richard

A

Andrew Johnston

Everyone interested in footage of the Oceanos sinking!
There is a PBS documentary where the Oceanos is talked about it for a little while, and they investigate into the sinking...
VOLUME I of Savage Seas: KILLER WAVES.

Tom Bates

Aug 16, 2002
The web sight works for me. You have to type in www.oceanosdive.com .
Welcome to the board andrew. I taped some thing a wile back on the Oceanos it
was over a hour long! Now if i could only find it among my 500+ video tapes.

A

Andrew Johnston

Was it called Cruise Ship Rescue?]

Oh my gosh if it was PLEASE! make a copy and send it to me,.. I will even pay you for it!

OMG!

Tom Bates

Aug 16, 2002
Hmm I don't remember want is was called he name "Cruise Ship Rescue" does
sound familiar. It showed footage of inside cabins , stair ways Etc. I think it was the
unedited footage that was shot abroad the ship. Then they talked a bout why she
sank.

A

Andrew Johnston

Yes, that was undoubtedly Cruise Ship Rescue...

would you be able to see if you could find it in free time? :/ ? I am really interested in somehow getting a copy...

M

Michael Alderson

Hi Andrew--

I have recently converted to DVD a 20-minute special on the OCEANOS sinking that came out in 1992 or 1993. There is some amazing footage of the ship sinking, interior shots etc. AND-- I am looking for the "Cruise Ship Rescue" episode to come out on video! Anyone know when it will? I called National Geographic video to see if it would, but they did not know if it would or when.
Does anyone have it on video???

Would you like a copy of the DVD? I think the program was called "I Witness Video" or something like that.

Thanks!