OCEANOS

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Captain Snorrason,

Are you the same Captain Snorrason (don't recall the last name but I do know the first name Hilmar)That used to run containers off the east coast in the late 80's and mid 90's??? If so I am the captain that you and old Keith Taylor used to go drinking with. If you are not the same Captain. I apologize for implying you hung out with my motely brothers back in the old days.

roy martin

Apr 13, 2005
I have a video of the sinking of the vessel which includes the interview with the captain,given to me by Moss Hills (the ship's entertainer who ended up on the bridge and who actually filmed the ingress of water),as well as the still photographs taken from the helicopter of her sinking....I was involved locally with the investigation into her sinking...I will see if I can 'rip' the interview off of the video and post it.

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
BTW, was Moss not also the entertainer on the Achille Lauro when she caught fire and sank only about three years after the Oceanos sinking? I am pretty sure I recall that at least one entertainer on the Achille Lauro's last voyage was also an Oceanos survivor.

No doubt, next time he'll take the bus...

roy martin

Apr 13, 2005
Correct...he and others were also stranded in the gulf, after not receiving salaries, so maybe a good ship to leave should you see him coming up the

Mar 27, 2005
Roy Martin Thank you for your reply and if possible I would like to ask you if possible to get the whole video and I would be able to rip what I'm looking for. This video is something all who are interested in safety of passengership should own in theyr collection. I'm as well a investigator of marine accidents in my country and this would also be interested to learn about the official report on the incident. Do you know what happened to the Captain and if he was later prosecuted or any other member of the crew?

My snail mail adress is Capt. Hilmar Snorrason Asgardi 37 IS-108 Reykjavik Iceland

Best regards

M

Michael O'Mahoney

To Capt. Hilmar Snorrasn
I was a passenger on the Oceanos on her final voyage when she sank off Coffee Bay 13 years ago. I only have one video of the sinking, but many newspaper clippings which my mother collected as the whole episode unfolded. I do recall that the Captain and most of his senior officers were found guilty in a South African court. I also believe that Capt. Avrannos was later given command of another passenger ship of the Epirotiki Line - although that is something I must still verify.
Regards
Michael O'Mahoney
Ocenos Survivor.

roy martin

Apr 13, 2005
[Actually, there was never a Court of Enquiry held in RSA, so there was never a finding of any sort by any official Court in RSA... the full enquiry was held in Greece, the flag state. The reason for this was that at the time of the sinking of the "Oceanos" along the Transkei coast, the Transkei was deemed by the 'old' SA government to be an independent 'country'. The crew were housed in Durban whilst statements etc were taken and whilst awaiting repatriation. The local Department of Marine Transport threatened to hold an enquiry, on the basis that they had been appointed to do so by the 'Transkei government'. They were told that they could do as they wished, but that the officers and crew were going home and would not participate in any such official enquiry. As Durban was deemed to be in another 'country' and as there was no loss of life or serious injury, any extradition treaties involved would be of no force or effect. The RSA government then dropped the idea.

Mar 27, 2005
Michael O'Mahoney

Thank you for you input. I have one video of the sinking but not the one where the Captain was asked why he had abandoned the vessel with all the passenger still onboard. That is the one I have been trying to get a copy of. As you where on her final voyage then there are few things which I would like to ask you about. 1. When the Captain left the vessel did all of the other officers leave together with him? 2. How about other crewmembers? 3. In the video I have from the incident there are shown people sitting on a grass field in rows. I have often wondered if there where some logic used to order the passengers in those rows. Where they put in certain numbers, nationality or some other reasons? 4. How long time did you wait for resque? 5. Where there any panic onboard among crew or passengers?

With thanks

Capt. Hilmar

Aug 4, 2006
Hi Mike,

I don't know if you remember me, but I do seem to remember you, I was also a passenger on the ill-fated Oceanos, I am trying to start up a blog page where we can publish everyone's stories about the Oceanos. I will create an email address as well for the blog where passengers who want to publish their stories can send it to. In the meantime please contact me through here, by the way did you come from Durban? I am living in Dublin now and have been for the last 5 years.

M

Michael O'Mahoney

Hi folks, haven't been actively looking at the site for some time now. Out of the blue Rose Marie Rowe contacted me and it was really a notalgic moment reading her blog and going back to the Oceanos sinking. What was even greater was that we remember each other and mutual friends namely Irene Smith, as we had a couple of Survivors reunions after the wreck. I will now check the site on a more regular basis.
Regards
Mike O'Mahoney.

M

Michael O'Mahoney

Captain Snorrasn
I found some newspaper clippings about the Oceanos and have scanned them. Specifically this article lists Captain Avranas as the 7th person airlifted fom the ship, as well as many of his crew. I hope I am able to attach the scanned clips. If not please email me at [email protected] and I will forward the article to you via email.
Regards
Michael O'Mahoney

B Portwig

Mar 25, 2019
south africa
a new book was published last year on the oceanos

Attachments

• against all odds.jpg
    against all odds.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 37