Oct 25TIS Philly convention

Aug 19, 2003
Hello,
I'd like to make everyone aware of a one-day convention being planned by Titanic International Society in Philadelphia. Here is the text of the flier that is now posted on the TIS Web site, www.titanicinternational.org
You can find the registration form there as well so I am not reproducing it in this posting. Hope you can join us; I think it will be an interesting time!--Mary Ann Whitley (TIS public relations)
----------
Titanic International Society
presents
Philadelphia’s Titanic Connections

Titanic International Society cordially invites you to attend a one day mini-convention on October 25, 2003, to be held at the Philadelphia Hyatt Hotel at Penn’s Landing and the Independence Seaport Museum.
Our day begins with an 8:00 to 9:00 registration period at the Hyatt Hotel accompanied by a continental breakfast. Lectures by world-prominent Titanic passenger researchers Michael Findlay and Robert Bracken will detail the Philadelphia passenger connections of Titanic. The Thayer family Titanic collection housed at the Independence Seaport Museum will be on display for our members and guests to view. The Cardeza family Titanic collection housed at Thomas Jefferson Medical College will also be available for our membership. A tour of the Independence Seaport Museum, including a tour of a World War II submarine and the U.S.S. Olympia will be included in registration packages for our members and guests.
Lunch and dinner for the day are at the option of each individual and a list of area restaurants will be provided for each registrant.
Hotel accommodations are available to our membership for those who need housing through the Hyatt Hotel at a room rate of $159.00 per night plus taxes. Parking is available for a fee. Hotel reservations must be made by October 10, 2003.
Titanic International Society is offering this convention for a registration fee of $45.00 per person. We hope you will plan on attending this special event.
If you are planning to stay at the Hyatt Hotel, 201 South Columbus Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19106, contact the hotel directly at telephone +1-215-928-1234. Please identify yourself as a registrant of the TIS Convention to achieve the room rate of $159.00 plus taxes. If you have any questions, please contact Dave Shuttle, co-chair of event, at dshuttle401@aol.com.
-------------

Aug 19, 2003
Hi, all,

It's not too late to plan to attend the Titanic International Society one-day convention in Philadelphia on Oct. 25--for all the info, see my earlier posting under Let's Meet: "Oct. 25--TIS Philly convention."

I think there will be some fascinating info shared on the people of Philadelphia. Not to mention the other events planned--we'll get to see the Cardeza and Thayer items. I know there's a bunch of you on the East Coast of the US--plan to come on over--we'd like to meet some of you. You do NOT have to be a TIS member to attend. (We'll take anybody!)--Mary Ann

Jun 8, 2002
Dear Mary Ann,

I so regret that I can't come to the Philadelphia meeting. The Philadelphia connections to the Titanic are among the most interesting to me, and my daughter, whose roots are there. My ex-wife was born and raised in the "City of Brotherly Love", (Penn, College for Women,'73, Dental Medicine,'80--even lived in the old Cardeza neighborhood of Germantown) and on numerous family visits there I'd scout out those connections. I dragged my Texas family to Philadelphia for the THS meeting in 1982.

Have a great meeting, and keep me posted on the next one!

Best regards,
Doug

Aug 19, 2003
Hi, Doug,
That is very interesting that you have roots in Philly. I myself have only been to the city once but having heard a little about some of the passengers from Mike Findlay and Bob Bracken I know this is going to be interesting. You were in Newport weren't you?? But I'm not sure that we were ever introduced. Can you describe yourself or what you were wearing at the gala dinner?? ;-)

--Mary Ann

Jun 8, 2002
Hi, Mary Ann,

Yes, I was at the Newport meeting with my daughter and parents. It was one of the best trips we've ever taken, as well as a splendid meeting--due largely to that world-class party planner, Shelley Dziedzic. As a matter of fact, it served as a crash course on how to organize such an event, which I am trying to help do now in Texas for our October meeting, although on a much smaller scale!

Why not take a break from planning the Philly meeting and come on down to Salado to ours?

Regards,
Doug

Aug 19, 2003
Hi again Doug,
Well, too many events too close together--can't get enough time off work and probably couldn't afford two trips either..... So much Titanic, so little time... I think Shelley is coming though isn't she?

Where is Salado in relation to Austin? I have a cousin there. I guess I could go look at a map, couldn't I?? I visited him in Austin once and we had a great time. I've also been to San Antonio--love it--and Dallas (thought the 6th Floor Museum on the JFK assassination was wonderful.)

--Mary Ann

Jun 8, 2002
Mary Ann,

We can't make 'em all! Perhaps we'll have a "Third Annual Titanic Texas Weekend" next year. If it's in Salado, it would be handy to Austin--about 45 minutes north on I35, depending on traffic.

Doug

Aug 19, 2003
Hi,
That sounds like a plan!! Unless there's another TIS fall gathering at the same time of year again. Or--if we ever decide to go to Austin (we've talked a lot about going back out for another visit) I will let you know and we can make a side trip. My cousin there actually has a little shaving cabinet with mirror built by his great-grandfather Johnny Whitley (my great-uncle) who was a woodworker on Titanic --you can see the type of craftsmanship that went into it up close--all made with hand tools. Show it to you if you come over!!
--Mary Ann