Of all the things we know about Titanic....

May 23, 2012
What is the one thing that keeps us so interested in this ship?

For me it would be the large third class families. Generations wiped out in a disaster they didn't see coming. What their fate was, probably locked below with the water coming up to them, or waiting in their cabins for the finale. I look at the Anderssons and Goodwins, and it's just something that gets to me all the time and has me thinking of it every single day.

J Burdette

Dec 30, 2011
I can't quite put a finger on it...yet. Like you I think it's awful that entire families died. My interest in mainly with the crew members, the deck officers and radio operators, to be exact. Perhaps it's the many what-ifs surrounding the tragedy.

Jun 26, 2002
For me it is the questions of "what if"? Wether it be about the lives lost or things that could have been done differently, just all possiable options. The great and interesting tragedy of it all.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
It's just one of those moments in history that doesn't lose any interest, it almost transcends history. I love comparing the lives and times of everyday people throughout the different generations of history - comparitive history is brilliant - and that plays a big role as well.

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
I think it is a lot of things adding up to a whole. Some of those "things" might sound a bit morbid but let's face it - we humans have a touch of morbid curiosity about certain things. Otherwise, why would such forums exist?

The Titanic was the largest and the most luxurious ship in the world at the time. Yes, she had a near-twin sister in the Olympic, but the fact that the Titanic was a wee bit larger justified the claim.

The ship was on its maiden voyage at the time. Someone might have mentioned the words "practivally unsinkable" somewhere along the line but it was enough to start a legend.

It was 1912 - before World War I numbed people into massive casualties - and a time where emigration to America, the so-called land of opportunity, from Europe and elsewhere was at its height. That created opportunities for a lot of poignant dramas after the Titanic went down.

It also had plenty of rich Americans with may real or perceived cupboard skeletons, creating another kind of dramatic stories after the disaster.

There were not enough lifeboats for all - although this was the norm back then, the consequences became most apparent with the Titanic.

The Titanic received quite a few ice warnings before the impact. Whatever actions Captain Smith did or did not take, this created room for a lot of debate after the disaster.

The Titanic struck the iceberg in mid-ocean, far away from nearest land, especially from 1912 perspective. This heightened the "middle of nowhere" feeling.

Perhaps most importantly, the ship took 2 hours and 40 minutes to go down. Roughly, only a third survived and watched the other two-thirds perish. This created opportunities for a lot of human drama from several perspectives.