Off duty Officers

M

mark garfien

What would the officers do when they were off watch, would they laugh and joke, or would they try and get as much sleep as they could before they went off watch.
Mark
:)

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
The junior officers mostly slept like logs, especially at night. Four hours on and four hours off was a killing routine. They fitted in meals as best they could. There was some time to relax in the dog watches, as it was hardly worth going to bed for less than two hours.

The senior officers had more time for sleep and hence more time to relax. They could talk, read and smoke the wicked weed. I wonder if Lightoller played his banjo. If he did, it would have been well away from his sleeping shipmates.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>If he did, it would have been well away from his sleeping shipmates.<<

It must have been. They let him live!
wink.gif

M

mark garfien

Thank you for awansering my question. :). I could see Lightoller standing right outside one of his sleeping shipmates cabins and playing his banjo, as a joke.
Mark :)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I could see Lightoller standing right outside one of his sleeping shipmates cabins and playing his banjo, as a joke.<<

And I can see the summery execution by keel hauling which would follow in the wake of a stunt like that.
wink.gif

M

mark garfien

>>And I can see the summery execution by keel hauling which would follow in the wake of a stunt like that.<< - LOL he would DEFINATLEY get a keelhauling. :)

-Mark

Andrew Y Liu

Sep 4, 2006
hello all,
i think Murdoch was always on duty because he was first officer. Did Lightoller seriously play the banjo as a joke? He might have woke up all the junior officers. besides, who were the junior officers?

M

mark garfien

The Jr. officers were the officers that held the rank from 3rd to 6th officer. The Jr. officers on the Titanic were 3rd officer Herbert John Pitman, 4th officer Joseph Groves Boxhall,5th officer Harold Godfrey Lowe, and 6th officer James Paul Moody. After the Titanic disaster I think there were three insted of four Jr. officers, so that they could get more sleep.
-Mark
happy.gif

Pat Winship

May 8, 2001
I don't think Lights had his banjo on the Titanic. As for pranks on board her, since she was a new ship, all the officers would have been too busy to do much cutting up.

At other times, however, we've got this account:

Unless a chap was off colour, and pinned a notice on his cabin begging that he might not be disturbed, he had to come out of his own free will or be brought out, usually by inserting a lighted blue light (which gives off a terrific amount of pungent smoke) in a copper fire nozzle to the ventilator at the bottom of his door. On one such occasion, the deck steward had to make a hurried visit so that he could assure some passengers that the ship was not really on fire.

Lightoller: Titanic and Other Ships

Now that's more evil than pickin' and singin'