Officer James Paul Moody

michelle

Sep 30, 2009
Hello!

I was wondering if you can help me, i am looking information about Officer Moody, i have been in the Titanic Officers site but i thought u might known anywhere else.
Anyone that his fave officer is Moody, please email me :)

Michelle

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hello, Michelle -

The site 'Bridge Duty' features a biography of James Moody, as well as information on the Moody Memorial Campaign and information on the Moody headstone recently 'rediscovered' in Scarborough.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/2622/Moody.html

To my knowledge, the web sites with the most comprehensive information on Moody are Encyclopedia Titanic and the above.

I'd be happy to answer specific questions regarding Moody via email to the best of my capacity, as I've spent the better part of two years researching his life. My colleague, Kerri Sundberg, and I are currently considering our options for publication on the subject.

Regards,

Inger

C

Christine Geyer

I hope I don't get on your nerves with my uncontrolled emotional bursts all the time but I just couldn't let this day pass by without remembering the one on board that has my personal interest, respect and admiration. August 21, 1887 6th officer James Paul Moody was born in Scarborough/England. He has always had my interest but especially since I got to know Inger, exchange thoughts with her, and have the honor to listen to her absolutely fascinating results of research, I think that James Moody was an incredibly interesting, brave and inspiring young man. It's a pity that he is so barely mentioned in most of the common publications. Inger does a very great job in her research !!

Many regards to all...
Christine

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hallo Christine -

I received your private email regarding your post and its subject matter - unfortunately, at the time you sent it I was on a liveaboard dive boat moored by Big Brother Island smack bang in the middle of the Red Sea, out of touch with the mainland and email for a week, so didn't answer at the time (have sent you a note now, though). I did indeed note the date, and raised a glass of duty free Captain Morgan's spiced + coke to the memory of the Titanic's Sixth Officer. After my diving had been done for the day, of course - which included the wreck of an Anchor Line steamship that went down at the turn of last century - a breathtaking sight, especially with the hammerhead shark circling above the hard-coral festooned wreck. Didn't get any photos of the shark, but have high hopes for my shots of the lifeboat davits still swung out, and the lionfish stalking the schools of classfish in her dark hull.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the research on James Moody. Given his personality - the warmth and personal charm so evident in his correspondence and in the recollections of those who knew him - it's difficult not to harbour an affection for someone with such a bright, engaging character. From an historical perspective, too, his role in the disaster and evacuation have barely been explored to date. Piecing the story together is a thoroughly enthralling challenge, a feeling I know you share from our conversations. I must admit, though, that these days it's his pre-Titanic career that intrigues me - those years in the early oil tankers and ships on the South American trade, the very earliest hundred days' voyages in sail, the excitement with which he greeted his promotion to a crack WS liner, the Oceanic.

Hope to chat with you on ICQ soon.

Best wishes,

Ing

Reactions: Toma
May 12, 2005
Ing!

Welcome back dearest.

I just sent a private message telling you how jealous I am of your vacation amony the coral. I'm glad you're back on terra firma and are also re-joining us here in Titanic cyberspace.

Your research on James Moody, Harold Lowe and the other Titanic officers has certainly been (and continues to be) an incredible journey. As ever, you have all my respect and praise for your diligence in tracking down the myriad and oft-elusive leads on these brave men who are so deserving of the great tribute you're preparing.

All best wishes,

Randy

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
M'dear Randy -

Ta, as ever, for the kind words.

At the moment I'm fairly content with the pace at which the research Kerri and I are undertaking is progressing, in spite of distractions over the summer. Breakthroughs on the Lowe front, and perhaps an opportunity to finally utilise some of the Boxhall material we've been assembling in what promises to be a very exciting collaborative effort with individuals who are extremely knowlegeable in their fields. Some of those bits and bobs we've been pulling together on Lightoller might also come into play. All thanks to the work decades ago of a junior WSL officer by the name of Bell.

Warmest wishes -

Ing