OFFICER LOWE AND CHARLOTTE COLLYER fact or fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Exactly how accurate is Mrs. Collyer's extended piece on the Titanic sinking, and of Officer Lowe's actions and behavior during and after it? Is there any substantiating evidence towards any of her more melodramatic statements, and more important, were female passengers allowed to remain in the boat which went back to rescue survivors? I know that it is mentioned that he divided his passengers up between other boats prior to going back, but did some remain with him, and could Mrs Collyer have been there to hear that "Jap" comment? For what it is worth, I tend to think that she embroidered the story somewhat, or that a reporter "fleshed out" her outline, or that she was (justifiably) bitter over what happenned and used Lowe as a target. Am I off base here?

Dec 12, 1999
James,

Please don't start this one up again. Check the archive - - there's a long, blown out debate on this one from early on last year. If I recall correctly it got so bitter that Phil finally shut it down. No kidding.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
JAN: Thanks for the warning. I must have missed that one, and as the answers (pro and con) can be found in the archive I RETRACT THE QUESTION in the interest of keeping the peace. Thanks again.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
James -

Rather than the thread Jan is referring to (which did indeed degenerate into acrimony), there's a very good one that went up recently under 'Which Lifeboat' titled 'Lifeboat 14' which dealt with the same topic.

All the best,

Inger

Status
Not open for further replies.