Officer's Quarters

Oct 15, 2003
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the Message Board, so this is my first question. Does anybody have any Idea what the Officer's Quarters on Titanic and her Sisters looked like. I have never seen any Info anywhere on this subject. All I can find Is a Picture of what Captain Smith's Bathroom looks like on the Wreck. Any Info would be nice. Regards, Michael.

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Michael!

From what I gather on the subject, the Officer's Quarters were similar in decor to that of First Class cabins on A Deck, in having plain white paneling and white metal framed bed.

As for Captain Smith's quarters his suite of rooms would probably have been more ornate in decor, possibly similar to an actual First Class cabin.

These are my deductions based on what I read in various Harland & Wolff sources and builder's books, this is my speculation; I do not know for sure these descriptions are totally accurate.

Best Regards,

Brian

Jun 4, 2003
Hi! What is meant when the captain's quarters are referred to as a "suite"? Was it that luxurious? Wouldn't that be a bit too much for the other officers to bear? Are there any photos of these rooms anywhere? Thanks!

Jul 20, 2000
George,

While the captain had a sitting room, a bedroom and a bathroon, the officers only had a stateroom or cabin. - The Chief officer's room was the largest. Thereafter they seem to have gone down in size with the 6th officer's being the smallest. - About the size of stateroom "X".

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi George!

when I used the word "suite" for the Captain's Quarters I did not imply it to mean luxurious like the B Deck Suites, but to describe its size as it was 3 interconnected rooms, sorry for the confusion.

And I know of no published photos of these areas, they may exist, I don't know offhand. It would seem likely that the cabins were all paneled in plain white wood with a plain metal bed and mirrored dresser, similar to the lower end First Class cabins.

Best Regards,

Brian