OH MY GOOD LORD Titanic as german propoganda

M

Mike Shetina

I would like to know as much as I can about the 1943 german titanic film. Thanks beforehand

Apr 11, 2001
Just realized this IS the same film as TITANIC 1943, Got a postcard ,Mark, of the Cap Arcona? I understand she was used as the stand in for Titanic, and was herself sunk as she was evacuating refugees from a camp near Hamburg. Accidently bombed by allied forces, she went down in the Bay of Luebeck- nearly all died- shot by SS troops who took position on the shore near the sinking liner- WHAT a story!

Mar 5, 2001
Hi Shelley!

Yes, the Cap Arcona of the Hamburg-Southamerica Line was the ship which was use as Titanic in the Movie. I have talked with Heinz Schon (a survivor of the Wilhelm Gustloff) who was Purser Assistant on the Wilhelm Gustloff in Gotenhafen. He told me that other young Soldiers have become 5 Reichsmark for jumping into the Water by the film shooting.

Later the Cap Arcona made 2 trips with wounded and refugees. then she come to the bay of Lubeck where she lie with the Deutschland (from the Ballin-Class of the Hapag) and the little freighter Thielbeck.

All three Ships were Attacked and sunk by Allied Bombers.

On Board where some Thousand People from the KZ Neuengamme near Hamburg.

greetings

Thorsten Totzke www.LostLiners.de www.OceanLiners.de

Apr 11, 2001
This was the Deutschland that was the 4-stacked Blue Ribband holder? Had no idea- she was a favorite ship of mine- her portrait is on the Hale Trophy for Blue Ribband winners. I love all those HAPAG 4-stackers- especially the Kronprinzessin Cecile which ended up rusting away in my hometown of Baltimore. I saw her bell and a long photo of her crew Sunday in the marine museum in Fall River, Massachusetts. Sure wish I could speak German- the site above looks inticing!

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Got a postcard ,Mark, of the Cap Arcona?

Nope, and neither does Jeff Newman---at least, there's no card of her on Great Ships.

This was the Deutschland that was the 4-stacked Blue Ribband holder?

Nope, Thorsten is referring to the Albert Ballin-class Deutschland--- http://www.greatships.net/deutschlandx.html ---which was a later ship than the four-stacker of the same name--- http://www.greatships.net/deutschland3.html.

All of the four-stackers are featured on Great Ships, http://www.greatships.net/fourteen.html

S

sharon rutman

Isn't it amazing? The Nazis finally found something they couldn't pin on the Jews when they made their Titanic flick!

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
The script of the German movie used to be on the late Bill Walden's site but the site is now gone. I can't find the script elsewhere. Has anybody sighted it?

M

Mary S. Lynn

I haven't been able to find it either, Dave. Please realize that Shelley's link to Dave Walden is over two years old, and I thank her for providing it LONG before I ever appeared! I'll keep looking, and have a couple of German friends who may be able to find something. If I do find the script, I'll post it.

Matt DiTullio

Jun 2, 2008
Just a question cause I cant seem to find the new topic button...

Was the cast and extras aware of what this film was about? I kind of figured that they were innocent civilians thrown into a propaganda scheme.