OK Now For the WORST Titanic Movie Votes Please

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Luke- Sorry to have "spoken over" your factually correct post. I agree with your sentiments~ but kept asking the same questions, regardless, hoping to get at least a partial answer. But, it grows dull and, yes, it is time to put it to bed.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Saved the best for last:<<

I think you mispelled "Worst."
wink.gif
I'm afraid to ask, but can it possibly get any worse?

>>Even if one were to agree that cowboy= reckless (and, I don't, obviously), <<

Nor do I. At 12,500 feet, anybody with a cowboy mentality would tend to get dead in short order. Safety was a paramount concern in all of these expeditions.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
>>>>>Oh, and for real onscreen fun, which ET member would be perfect as 'snotty' female scientist Anne Shymer, en route to bore royalty with her piddling discoveries?<<<

Not thinking of our Sharon were you, Jim?
grin.gif

Luke Owens

Jan 18, 2007
No problem, Jim. I note that some people are attempting to change the subject. Go to it, folks! <g>

Luke

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
I know I am a little late about this but those classic Charmin commercials are the funniest things I have ever seen on television.I have noticed that in recent years they have banished the evil toilet paper spy Mr.Whipple and replaced him with the cartoon fat dancing bears in those recent Charmin commercials.Jim,Thanks for posting those youtube classic Charmin commercials.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
You are welcome. Mr Whipple was a scary deve. I'd like to see him brought back for one final commercial, in which an outraged woman files charges. I infintely prefered Tom Carvel, everyone's favorite phlegm voiced chain smoking garrulous grandpa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzPiONed6Iw

whose 500 or so self made commercials NEVER got any better. I only wish I could find the ad where he rapped.

The scariest deve of them all, however, was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO9XC3tAbkQ

and I swore a dark oath that I would NEVER set foot in one of these stores. This is the commercial "character" most likely to have dead prostitutes cemented under his patio. (In my book, anyhow) I was happy ca 1990 when the entire empire crumbled and the titular head went to prison for fraud...I never had to sit through one of those ads again. Until now.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Hi, Jason: As hard to believe as it is in a day and age where a Titanic museum has a sign out front reading "Fun for the Entire Family," there was still a modicum of good taste in the 1970s and so, as far as I know, there WERE no cute Titanic references in commercials.

HOWEVER,for a Titanic sized disaster: I am not yet 5 years old. I see THIS commercial~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI2YHOEtYk0

and at the dinner table I ask my parents for an explanation. To their credit, after turning white, they give me a VERY technical answer that I will not possibly understand until well into my teens.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
WORST OF ALL: Okay= to go back to my original point, about how warped the perspective of women, via the media, was 30 years ago- check out this unforgettable commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb510ju771o

Now, would one rather be raising a daughter in a society in which figures like "snotty Barbie" Dr Johnson and her microscope get too much air time, or would one rather her live in a day and age where a major corporation came as close to depicting ...what columnist Dorothy Kilgallen called 'that horrendous act against nature'.... as has ever been shown on TV, with the woman reacting with psychedelic ecstasy, post act? Somehow, even by 21st century standards, there is something unwholesome about this ad.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I only wish I could find the ad where he rapped.<<

It's probably better for your sanity that you didn't.

>>and I swore a dark oath that I would NEVER set foot in one of these stores.<<

Sounds like this was a local outfit. From the comments posted there, I've the impression he was finally nailed for securities fraud.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>Sounds like this was a local outfit. From the comments posted there, I've the impression he was finally nailed for securities fraud.

Yes. Eddie Antar~ THE "Crazy Eddie"~ did head off to the Big House. Recently he and his business partner cousin, who also "took the fall," appeared on a segment of a TV news magazine, reunited for the first time since the trial and still obviously loathing one another. Crazy Eddie was a New York City area franchise, with outlets in all of the Long Island and Westchester County suburbs and HEAVILY advertised~ it seemed that every week there was a new, and even more shrill, variant of that ad running. Some remember them fondly (?) but, as I said, even Crazy Eddie's low low prices could not lure me into one of those outlets as a result of the ads. And, yes, there were several hundred radio ads as well.

>Oh my Gawd!!!!!!!

Yup. Who knew that the influence of the late Linda Lovelace (yes, late- car accident a few years ago)would percolate upwards into an ad campaign for fruit? And, Pink Floyd? Who was this commercial targeted towards?

>It's probably better for your sanity that you didn't.

Too late. I saw it in its first run and am still haunted. The recent allegations that Tom Carvel was murdered after discovering massive scale embezzlement were quite a shock. THOSE ads I do remember fondly~ he wrote, produced, and directed them himself and was so hyperenthusiastic about his own product that it made his trademark delivery (dead pauses, mid-sentence trail offs, odd tangents, slight speech impairments, massive amounts of phlegm) seem effective. We always wondered if junior managers in the office came up with Cookiepuss's slogan ("Take me home and eat me") as a mean "Let's propose it and see if he goes along with it" kind of joke that backfired when he did, in fact, go along with it.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
I do remember that the man in the Santa Claus suit in the Crazy Eddie commercial was a DJ at a New York City radio station in the 1970s the now defunct WPIX-FM 101.9,His name is I believe is Jerry Carroll.Anyway Jerry did wear the Santa Claus suit in those silly Crazy Eddie TV commercials because I do remember that Crazy Eddie every year had those absurd Christmas in August sales.In either 1986 or 1987 my father and I did go into the Crazy Eddie store in Paramus,New Jersey and bought a 19 inch screen color television set the brand name of this TV is Lloyds and the funny thing about this television set is that I still have it and it still works well.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Some remember them fondly (?) <<

(((Snort))) They should be locked up "fer their own pertecshun!" That advert was to the left of some I've seen from automobile dealerships and those were pretty bad. A latest example of some advertising lows comes with those Quiznos Sub adverts and those Head On pain reliving sticks, but those are tame compared to that thing with the banana!

Oh, and in the news today, an article on why men and women "Make whoopee." The answer: Because it feels good! (See http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pub&dt=070801&cat=science&st=scienced8qo717g0&src=ap )

Well duh!

What's interesting here is that the "Feels Good" part was at the top of the list for both men and women!

Since AT&T news links tend to self destruct after a few days, the links to the studies are provided below:

University of Texas study "Why Humans Have Sex": http://tinyurl.com/ypzwvr

Cindy Meston's Sexual Psychophysiology Laboratory: http://www.mestonlab.com/

So much for the "Typical Male Perspective."

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>Crazy Eddie every year had those absurd Christmas in August sales.

Just another reason to head out of town for August if you lived in NYC back then.

WPIX! Now THERE was a nightmare! Do you remember the circa 1980 interactive "VIDEO GAME" (on WPIX TV) where you'd phone in, possibly get picked, and sit there yelling "pix" as someone at the studio pressed the control to make the "Pong" game (visible on your home screen) operate. Allegedly, when you yelled "pix" they'd press the button, but of course you knew in advance that they were going to make you lose on purpose by delaying by a nanosecond. The prize was always fairly schlock~ even at ten the idea of circus tickets thrilled me about as much as (at age 40) the idea of getting the yearly digital cancer exam~ but the fact that nine times out of ten they made you lose on purpose irritated me.

>Oh, and in the news today, an article on why men and women "Make whoopee." The answer: Because it feels good!

How politically incorrect. We all KNOW that hetero-orineted sex is just another means by which women are subjugated. How can a tool of enslavement feel good?

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Yes Jim, I remember WPIX-TV Channel 11 did those stupid video games during the commercials of those stupid Tom and Jerry cartoons around 1980 or so(I did prefer to watch Bugs Bunny and the other classic Warner Brothers cartoons on Channel 5).And you are right that the cheapskates at Channel 11 would be a nanosecond late when you yelled PIX so you would then lose the game and not get the cheap prize.All the reason to watch Channel 5 instead of Channel 11 in the New York Metropolitan area.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>Channel 5

Ah, yes Metromedia 5. "The fun's on Channel 5." Wonderama was, of course, it's crown jewel.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Jim, I remember as a kid in the sixties and early seventies watching Wonderama on Channel 5 on Sunday Morning.I remember the first host of this show was Sonny Fox.And then he left and was replaced by Bob McAllister.On that show there were children who were the studio audience.And the kids in the audience did compete in games to win prizes.Also during the show there were cartoon breaks and it was the classic Warner Brothers cartoons that were shown on this show.Of course this was back in the day when Channel 5 was owned by Metromedia.Today Channel 5 is owned by the media tycoon Rupert Murdoch and WNYW-TV Channel 5,New York is the flagship TV Station of the Fox Television Network.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Sonny Fox. Was actually quite mean to the kids
happy.gif
Bob McAllister was a lot nicer, but less fun to watch. There was a five year wait list to get on Wonderama at its peak, but a VIP friend of the family pulled some strings and the older members of my family got to jump line. The guests that show pulled were really top drawer~ surprising since it only aired in the New York metro area. I recall, well, the Jackson 5 appearing at least once, Abba (I have that episode on tape) Mohammad Ali, Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams in character as Laverne and Shirley, and dozens of other rock, TV, sports and political figures. And, was it just me, or did they play "Enjoy Yourself" by the Jacksons during the Teen Dance-off segment for about 300 consecutive episodes? The idea of sitting in a studio with at least a hundred screaming children for over three hours is daunting.

In an act of almost unimaginable cruelty, allow me to present, for the benefit of those who did not grow up in NYC in the 1970s and who therefore never saw Wonderama, this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfAIbAWMkSg

which proves that, despite what those who were over 18 back then claim, the riots, the blackout, the city going bankrupt, and the Son of Sam were NOT the worst things to befall our fair city during my youth.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>How politically incorrect.<<

Works for me! I was never much on clinging to whatever orthodoxy happens to be fashionable when there are inconvenient things...like facts...which indicate the orthodoxy is so much bovine excrement.

>>We all KNOW that hetero-orineted sex is just another means by which women are subjugated. How can a tool of enslavement feel good?<<

Don't know, but there appear to be a lot of men and women out there who would cheerfully take part in the....errrrr...experiments to explore the question.

>>In an act of almost unimaginable cruelty<<

The Captain and Tennille???

Well, I shouldn't complain. I did ask if it could get any worse.

It did!