Okay what's the exact number who lived and who died

Feb 23, 2007
Very true Bob,
My cousin has many post cards and I think a few letters also from Great-grandmothers friends from the Titanic. I have seen many of them and do'nt remember seeing May Howard among them. The next time I visit with my cousin I will take another look to see if I can find her among them. I'm sure that if she was a friend then Great-grandmother would have saved at least one letter or card.

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
A batch of letters from survivors? Wow! That would make a nice article or book someday to string those together with biographies and pics of each person.

Aug 14, 2005
I have noticed in the book '101 things you thought you knew about the Titanic' that the author quotes a survivor count of 600-odd and later in the book talks about 711 survivors. Has the actual number never been confirmed? Also he states the number of widowed women as 36, i would have thought it would have been far higher.

[Moderator's note: This message, originally a separate thread, has been moved to this pre-existing thread addressing the same question. MAB]

Dec 6, 2000
There were 712 survivors.

"widowed women" As in couples travelling together? Husband lost, wife saved? You could answer that for yourself by making use of the Passenger Lists on this web-site. A quick count gives me 26 in 1st Class, 15 in 2nd Class and 7 in 3rd Class, plus 3 where the ladies were travelling as a wife with a man to whom they were not married.

H

Hannah titanic

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
I don't think there'll ever be a universally agreed upon number of survivors and casualties, purely for the reason that there's so many different sources - all around the same ballpark figure, but rarely matching exactly.

I have always been led to believe that there was 1,508 casualties and 705 survivors.

Cheers,
Adam.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
In our new book, Report Into the Loss of the SS Titanic - A Centennial Reappraisal, we provide complete Lost/Saved statistics as well as listing the name of every single passenger (by class) and crewmember (by department), including those who used aliases, who sailed on Titanic's maiden voyage Atlantic crossing. Lester was one of 11 coauthors that worked on this extensive collaborative undertaking. See http://centennial.titanicology.com/.

Nov 13, 2014
Belgium
There are so many sites which keep saying there were only 705 people who survived the sinking. I know ET has 712 surviving names, but why is there another number? Which names does the other list lack?

Alex Kiehl

Aug 1, 2006
It's because the original list of 705 was first presented to Captain Rostron while on board the Carpathia. A short time later, a list of seven additional names that were missed the first time was also presented to him. When it came time to send the list of survivors to the press, the list of 705 was printed, while the second list was accidentally left unpublished, so seven people who were originally listed as lost actually survived.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
It's because the original list of 705 was first presented to Captain Rostron while on board the Carpathia. A short time later, a list of seven additional names that were missed the first time was also presented to him.
What is the source for that?
Rostron also mentioned 711 survivors and was very close to the real number 712.

Nov 13, 2014
Belgium
This is what I accidentally found:
- The British Commission of Inquiry reported 711 survivors. (Initially, on April 25, 1912, the Board reported 703 survivors).
- The U.S. Senate Subcommittee Titanic Hearing reported 706 survivors.
- Carpathia Captain Arthur Henry Rostron reported picking up 705 survivors from the lifeboats.

The Titanic For Dummies
By Stephen J. Spignesi
I just stumbled upon this minutes ago, and I don't know how reliable it is.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
So 712 is definitely the officially correct number of survivors? I've heard a number of different figures from different sources, everything from 700-720.

Cheers,
Adam.

Nov 13, 2014
Belgium
I can perfectly agree with the number 712, I just want to know which names are missing on the other lists. The problem is I never managed to find the name list of any of those.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
So 712 is definitely the officially correct number of survivors?
712 is the correct number, we have all the names of the survivors and victims.

I can perfectly agree with the number 712, I just want to know which names are missing on the other lists. The problem is I never managed to find the name list of any of those.
The list of both inquiries are online, like here for the US. At the bottom is a link to Exhibit B which listed them.
TIP | United States Senate Inquiry | Report | Titanic

Both list had inaccuracies, people were listed twice or with the wrong name which result in a higher number of passengers and dead (like 1517) so in short it is not as simple that they "forget" a few.

T

Talira Greycrest

Had each of those lifeboats been carrying their full load, a total of roughly 1,175 people would have been saved. Of course, we know that, in reality, nowhere near that number of people survived.