Oldest Titanic Rescuer112 years old

• Thread starter Robert Douglas Young
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert Douglas Young

Much has been made of the passengers and crew on the Titanic, but mostly overlooked has been the rescuers from the Carpathia. Most, if not all, of them are probably dead by now. Does anyone know if any of them are still living? Does anyone have a list of the passengers that were on the Carpathia when it rescued the Titanic survivors?

I'd like to mention one intriguing story: Sammie Howe was born Mar 7, 1887. Married to a US government official, she was on the Carpathia on the 1912 voyage when the Titanic disaster occurred. In 1998 and 1999 she briefly garnered attention when she was made the honorary first season ticketholder for the Orlando WNBA franchise. In interviews she recounted how she rescued a baby from drowning and remembers the song "Nearer My God to Thee" being played.She was also the army's first female lieutenant, and was in charge of training troops at Fort Johnston, Jacksonville, FL--or so she claimed, but since Fort Johnston hasn't existed since 1940, how would she have known about it if she wasn't there?

Sadly, she died Sept 12, 1999 at the remarkable age of 112--made all the more remarkable as a living memory of historic times from long ago, a time at the cusp of living history, and near the time when no one is around from or remembers firsthand anymore.

So, if anyone can verify that she was indeed a passenger (her husband was Ned Howe, a US government official from New York City), please post a follow-up message.

Note: The "world's oldest person" (with indisputable evidence) now living is Maud Farris-Luse of Coldwater, Michigan, who was born Jan 21, 1887 and is now 114. She was 25 years old when the Titanic sank. The oldest Titanic survivor is believed to be Mary Wilburn of England (May 17, 1883-July 29, 1987) who lived to 104. She was a 2nd-class passenger. The last first-class passenger was Marjorie Newell Robb (Feb 12, 1889-June 11, 1992).

Robert Young
Atlanta

Hi, Robert!

To be honest, her story sounds pretty outlandish, and I'd say there's a better than average chance that the woman was an imposter.

I do not find the name "Howe" in my (admittedly incomplete) list of Carpathia passengers, but I'm wondering if the woman was married to Mr. Howe at the time of the disaster. Do you happen to know her maiden name?

All my best,

George

Status
Not open for further replies.