Olympic Corridor Tile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I was searching eBay, and found this tile for sale:

Olympic Tile

They include a photograph, saying this is tile was from the second class entrance, and that is obviously incorrect. However, this looks like the main tile and center tile from the first class lino tiles in the corridors (minus the four corner tiles.) Until this point, if this is indeed the tile I believe it is or an added tile to Olympic from one of her fittings, I was unsure of the color of these tiles, thinking they were white/grey from the rendering in TTSM. I just wanted to get confirmation before I bid more (or some of you guys bid!)

Thanks!

>>I just wanted to get confirmation before I bid more <<

Since the auction indicates that bidding has now ended, I don't think you need to be worried about that. As to whether or not it's genuine, I sure can't tell. The tile looks to be in very poor condition. As with any auction, on EBay or any other venue, it's always a good idea to check the provanance of the item for yourself.

Hi Matthew,

I have purchased many rare Mauretania cards from this rather well known seller who runs an online store of the same name as his eBay User ID. It is my understanding that his numerous and varied Olympic items were obtained when and where he says they were. Have a look if you have not at his website - you will see several tiles there and he mentions he has a copy of his sales invoice for this material. Note that the color will likely be quite different that originally intended if these were made from linoleum as that material contains linoxyn which oxidizes. You mentioned the erroneous b/w photo - it was for illustrative purposes only I think. The auction text clearly states the tiles were used in all three classes (I'd not know) but I should think you asked all pertinent questions before bidding.

Nixonfarm.com

Best,
Eric Longo

I will second what Eric has said. I have purchased from this seller before as well with great success and satisfaction. In future, go for it if ya wanna.
happy.gif

Thanks for the replies!

I was actually the one who bought it in the end, after I had discovered his website, that Eric posted, which made me feel better about it. Hopefully I will contact him for more tile and also grabbed a red tile from Olympic at the last minute to go along with a green of similar design I already have.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Sincerely,
Matthew DeWinkeleer

Hi Matt, Jason
happy.gif

I am glad you won the item. Also try here - a truly wonderful site of quality with great items:

Luxury Liner Row

LLR White Star page with Olympic pool/bath tiles

Below are scans of some of the items I have collected from the Mauretania 1906-1936. A small but beautiful uncleaned section of old growth African mahogany Lounge moulding removed at Southampton, a brass porthole dog from Rosyth engraved 1935 and a large ash tray with heazy cast Mg bronze prop insert with bas-relief of the Old Lady made by Hughes Bolckow in 1935/36. Some of my most precious items are rather unusual and very ephemeral, like dried fruit from an April, 1934 luncheon pressed between a folded deckled edged menu and saved in a wonderous late cruise scrapbook. Hope you enjoy them:

First Class Lounge moulding from LLR

Brass porthole dog

Teak and bronze ash tray (unused with original patina)

1934 Luncheon menu with dried fig

Best,
Eric

Hi Eric
happy.gif

I really like that piece of Mauretania moulding. I am quite fond of the "Greek Key" pattern in general, and although the moulding does not exhibit a Greek Key pattern, it reminds me of it just the same.

Now is it my imagination, the lighting, or does the moulding show traces of gold gilt as well? Very nice.

Hi again Eric,

Coincidentally, I also contacted Brian from Luxury Liner Row in regards to buying a bath tile or two.

You've got some nice pieces in your collection Eric. The dried fig is something I'd imagine can really connect you to the passengers. And Jason's right- the moulding is very nice indeed.

Sincerely,
Matthew DeWinkeleer

Hi Jason, Matthew
happy.gif

Thanks for the kind words. I am glad you guys liked the items. Jason, I also love the Greek Key inspired design with the egg and dart pattern. And yes, there is a metallic leaf of gold color on the "key" while the egg and dart is a "gold" paint. Unfortunately, the same moulding which is at the pub/club in Bristol seems to have been repainted or altered in some way. The mahogany is still rather richly polished even though this has not been cleaned since 1935. It was not meant to be a very high gloss finish. The interesting thing, besides the original mounting screws, is the back. I have observed a black/gun metal slippery paint or applied substance that I strongly suspect to be graphite in composition which would help alleviate squeaking aboard ship when mounted. The section is only a part of the complete moulding which had additional widths of gold acanthus leaves and all; the pieces show joins suggesting length constrictions so there would have been many individual pieces held together with screws in a single bit of this moulding. This also may have helped to disperse and alleviate any movement and related noise. The fig is really unusual and was quite a surprise. The ash tray is quite heavy. I have a better scan of the relief on the insert - I'll try to find it.

Best,
Eric

Hi Jason,
happy.gif

here is the relief on the ash tray insert. I have only seen two other examples of this ash tray - one was in original but very used condition with considerable wear and corrosion to the insert and the other was heavily cleaned with abrasives to the point where the insert was destroyed and the screened image and text on the little aluminum plaque on the bottom naming the maker was just a shiny piece of metal.

Prop bronze bas-relief of R.M.S. Mauretania

Best,
Eric

Dear Jason. I have posted a picture of a complete section of the lounge cornice although a little dusty ad not as well cared for as Eric's section.

regards

Adam Gratwick
125741.jpg

Oh wow! Isn't that beautiful, Adam! Thanks for sharing! That looks like a really sizable piece. How long is it? Is it really curved like the second picture suggests? I wonder what area of the room it originally came from? Nice shots.

Eric, isn't it just a shame when one comes across an item that's been destroyed due to lack of thought - like the ashtray insert you mentioned you saw? It's like when someone takes an old silver coin and "cleans" it to make it "shiny" - and by doing so, instantly lessens its value. Well, yours is quite nice, and apparently still has its original 'patina'. In fact, the ship appears to modeled in the style of an Art Deco relief. Coolness!
thumbup.gif

Hiya Jason, Adam,
happy.gif

Thanks for posting those photographs from the Great Tew Auction Adam - lovely. I recognize them. Jason, Adam's lovely section of curved lounge cornice likely came from one of the 4 curved recessed bays shown on this composite. My section is straight and likely from near the ceiling. This 1933 candid photo composite shows a "Paul Jones" get-together dance in the lounge, and the bays. The dance, as explained to my by JM-G, has the couples parading around the edge of the dance floor under the dome and when the music stopped, the inner line of men about face and the women kept going. When the music stopped again, the man danced with his new partner, as did his wife who had stopped opposite someone else. It is a good way to get passengers to meet new people and likely took place early in the crossing for that reason, perhaps the first night at sea. The composite shows the lounge looking aft with a color deck plan showing the vantage point of the photographer. The sculpture in the alcove on the right was a representation of "Britannia" - the alcove opposite the piano held "Columbia", which is in excellent condition and can be seen newly restored at the Tyne and Wear Discovery Museums.
Ahh, coins Jason. I used to collect them and those Brasso horror stories are the stuff of nightmares. I used to collect small mintage Proof Seated, Barber and Winged Liberty 10c with original envelope, target or early proof set package toning. I find the bas-relief on the ash tray looks a little like a German vessel for some reason and it is very stylized but quite attractive and surprisingly heavy. I must assume there are not very many around. I am glad you enjoyed seeing it.
happy.gif

1933 First Class Lounge Paul Jones Dance Candid

Best,
Eric

Thank you for taking the time to create that composite, Eric. Very unusual angle.
happy.gif
It's always neat to see new images rather than just the usual postcard shots ~ although those are nice too.

As a young 'un, I used to collect coins as well. Many hours of fun were spent hunting around and filling up those ubiquitous Whitman folders. I, too, collected Winged Liberty or rather 'Mercury' dimes (although not proof) and had an almost complete set, missing only the 1916-D (what normal kid in junior high could afford that one?).

One of my favorite coins, with which I'm sure you're familiar, was the Columbian Half Dollar made for the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. I had several of these, some dated 1892 and some 1893. One of the ones dated 1893 came from my great-great grandmother who actually attended the fair so long ago.

When I first saw the ship relief in your Mauretania ashtray, I, too, for whatever reason, was reminded of a German vessel, and then the Queen Mary (deco influence). I certainly haven't seen many of this type either. One usually just sees the little wooden barrels.

Status
Not open for further replies.