Hawtry did have two hotels, the Majestic and the Fort Ann. He intended to have a fun fair at port Soderick but I found no evidence it was ever established. The Fort Ann was demolished in 1979, I have interior photos of it but the only thing from Olympic is a GSC chandelier hanging over the bar. It too had a dispersal auction in the 70s but what became of the stuff is unknown. I contacted antiques dealers during my 2005 visit and they told me they had nothing come their way that was of any value from either of the hotels since their closure. They were aware of the significance of Titanic or White Star Line related artefacts.

Jon Brockman

Oct 2, 2006
Hi Stuart,
did they have any panelling?
apart from the few items you mentioned has nothing with provenance from Olympic then the Majestic hotel ever turned up on ebay or an auction etc?

If they had panelling, I'm unaware. I've not seen anything appear at auction or ebay supposedly from either of the IoM hotels. My guess is that by the time the two hotels closed in 1974 and 1989, it was 39 and 54 years since the Olympic's dispersal auction respectively. The items would have had up to 24 years continuous usage while they were on the Olympic and then many years more in the hotels. Certainly by the 1960s, the style of the mundane furniture from Olympic would have looked decidedly dated. It is a real possibility that they would have been replaced at some point in the lifetime of the two hotels. The local historian who assisted me did extensive research in the local press in 1936 and 1937 and there was no mention of the two hotels receiving artifacts from the Olympic, despite it being a very famous liner. His theory was Hawtry could have passed off the stuff in his two hotels as being new. If it transpired he'd got them cheap out of a dispersal auction, it might have taken some of the gloss off his new refurbished hotels.

It is something worthy of further investigation I think but the lack of promising leads during my research in 2000 and 2005 suggests that it would be like looking for a needle in haystack.

Here is a photo of the bar at the Fort Ann Hotel, showing one of Olympic's GSC chandeliers hanging from the ceiling on the right.
135260.jpg

I obtained five photos of the public rooms of the hotel in 2000, this was the only one that showed something that clearly was from the Olympic. I don't know when the photo was taken other than it must have been between 1936 and 1974.

Jon Brockman

Oct 2, 2006
Hi Stuart,
i would love to know what the 394 lots were, ie whether they would of been fitted in a hotel (panelling etc)or placed in(furniture etc) my guess is if they did have any panelling or similar as nothing has turned up its either fitted somewhere still or been destroyed, but as you say its definatly worth further investigation!

T

Trevor Rommelley

Apparently the Red Swan pub in Alnmouth, near the famous White Swan, has fittings from the Olympic. What are they, I wonder?

Mar 16, 2015
Hi All
I was brought up in Greater Manchester in a house built in 1935/36. The legend of my childhood was that the cupboards and beautiful staircase were from the Olympic. How do I find out for real? Does anyone know the names of any of the bidders in the Jarrow auction? Or addresses for shipment? We had beautiful fitted mahogany wardrobes, and light oak and teak too and really unusual light fittings. Any help gratefully received. Genuine enquiries only please. I am not looking to sell, just to explore the history.

Mike C

Aug 3, 2016
I'm no expert but they do claim the bar has Olympic's hull number written on the inside. I heard a long time ago that there was a bar from Olympic in Pity Me, thought it was just a myth.

Mike C

Aug 3, 2016
Olympic Light.jpg

This Running Light is on display in the maritime Museum in Southampton, Sea City amongst the Titanic exhibition. It was found in the Marquis of Granby Hotel in Lincoln I understand, along with pannelling from the Olympic. I wonder what became of the other Lights that would have been on the forward mast and the other side of the ship.

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Does anyone know what happened to large areas of the ship that nothing remains from? For example, we never see anything from Olympic from the Reading & Writing Room, The Turkish Baths, or the post war tiles that were in the Grand Staircase... Anyone have any ideas why? Or what happened? In particular I'm so surprised no tiling, or fittings have been from the baths on E deck.