Olympic on the night that the Titanic sank

Arun Vajpey

Is there a map (even a rough one) showing the location and ship time of the Olympic when it received the distress calls from the Titanic on Monday, 15th April 1912? Could someone clever with these things (I am not) please draw a route of Captain Haddock's proposed route towards the Titanic and how that would have correlated with the known ice field?

Thanks in anticipation.

Is there a map (even a rough one) showing the location and ship time of the Olympic when it received the distress calls from the Titanic on Monday, 15th April 1912? Could someone clever with these things (I am not) please draw a route of Captain Haddock's proposed route towards the Titanic and how that would have correlated with the known ice field?

Thanks in anticipation.
Hi Arun! that is a good question. I've seen one before, but I can't seem to find it. I also think Olympic received Titanic's call around 12:45, or so? I'm most likely wrong.

Arun Vajpey

I also think Olympic received Titanic's call around 12:45, or so?
If so, it would be Titanic time. The Olympic at the time was around 500 miles southwest of her sister ship and so would it have been 11:45 pm or thereabouts its own time?

If Captain Haddock did set course at full speed towards the Titanic, I am assuming that he would have had some 5 hours of night time left before it started to get lighter with greater visibility. He probably would have covered only about 110 miles or so in that period, which I assume would have been still very far away from the ice field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Kreachie

While Olympic did Receive Titanic's Calls and set Course to aid Titanic, When Carpathia Arrived at the Scene, They Messaged Olympic saying Titanic was gone and that They could not come to the aid of the Survivors, As to why is actually a very good reason, Titanic and Olympic were sister ships, Meaning they both were of nearly Identical design, and thus could cause Panic amongst the survivors seeing a ship that looks JUST LIKE The one that went down coming alongside the Carpathia asking them to board.

Kreachie

While Olympic did Receive Titanic's Calls and set Course to aid Titanic, When Carpathia Arrived at the Scene, They Messaged Olympic saying Titanic was gone and that They could not come to the aid of the Survivors, As to why is actually a very good reason, Titanic and Olympic were sister ships, Meaning they both were of nearly Identical design, and thus could cause Panic amongst the survivors seeing a ship that looks JUST LIKE The one that went down coming alongside the Carpathia asking them to board.
Forgot to mention that also Olympic was still 100+ Kilometers away when Carpathia arrived