Olympic on the night that the Titanic sank

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
Is there a map (even a rough one) showing the location and ship time of the Olympic when it received the distress calls from the Titanic on Monday, 15th April 1912? Could someone clever with these things (I am not) please draw a route of Captain Haddock's proposed route towards the Titanic and how that would have correlated with the known ice field?

Thanks in anticipation.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Is there a map (even a rough one) showing the location and ship time of the Olympic when it received the distress calls from the Titanic on Monday, 15th April 1912? Could someone clever with these things (I am not) please draw a route of Captain Haddock's proposed route towards the Titanic and how that would have correlated with the known ice field?

Thanks in anticipation.
Hi Arun! that is a good question. I've seen one before, but I can't seem to find it. I also think Olympic received Titanic's call around 12:45, or so? I'm most likely wrong.

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
I also think Olympic received Titanic's call around 12:45, or so?
If so, it would be Titanic time. The Olympic at the time was around 500 miles southwest of her sister ship and so would it have been 11:45 pm or thereabouts its own time?

If Captain Haddock did set course at full speed towards the Titanic, I am assuming that he would have had some 5 hours of night time left before it started to get lighter with greater visibility. He probably would have covered only about 110 miles or so in that period, which I assume would have been still very far away from the ice field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

William Oakes

Mar 6, 2020
Haddock even sent smith this wireless message at 11:50 pm, "Am lighting up all boilers as fast as can"
Haddock

Reactions: 1 users