Olympic Passengers Alive Today?

A

Aaron_2016

Does anyone know how many passengers of the Olympic are still alive today? e.g. Millionaire Mrs. Brooke Astor and her son Anthony both sailed on the Olympic back in 1929. (She married Vincent Astor, son of JJ Astor). She passed away in 2007, and her son Anthony in 2014. Currently researching living celebrities to see which famous ships they sailed on. Here are just a few I have found so far who are still with us.

Actress Patricia Morison - RMS Queen Mary
Actress Mary Carlisle - RMS Majestic, RMS Berengaria, RMS Queen Mary, SS Lurline
Actor Lukas Ammann - SS America
Actress Gisèle Casadesus - SS Rochambeau
Dancer Jean Erdman - SS Maraposa, SS Malolo, SS Lurline, SS Matsonia, SS Queen of Bermuda, SS City of Los Angeles

Brooke Astor who passed away in 2007 sailed on the Andora Star, the Ile De France, the Aquitania, the Leviathan, the Rex, the Olympic, the Vulcania, the Europa, the United States, the Paris, the Cottica, the Ancon, the Cristobal, the General WC Gorgas, the Chiriqui, the Conte Di Savoia, the Iroquois, and the Baltic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
I might be wrong, but is it possible Walt Disney travelled on the Olympic or another White Star ship?

I found this image showing a supiciously familiar funnel behind Walt Disney as he talks to a camera.
Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 13.00.34.png

Sorry if these is either in the wrong forum or not the information your looking for.

A

Aaron_2016

It does appear to be a funnel from a White Star Liner. Can't find any records of Mr. Disney aboard the Olympic (unless he sailed using an alias name owing to his popularity?). I found many records of him sailing on the Queen Elizabeth which must have been his favourite liner. He also sailed on the Rex and the Normandie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Can't find any records of Mr. Disney aboard the Olympic (unless he sailed using an alias name owing to his popularity). I found many records of him sailing on the Queen Elizabeth which must have been his favourite liner. He also sailed on the Rex and the Normandie.

It could just be coincidence that he was just interviewed standing in front of the Olympic in Southampton or New York (my guess is he was interviewed at pier 54 or another Cunard pier Not Certain). it's is a surprise though. I also not entirely sure it's the Olympic but it could be the 4th Funnel and the aft mast being hidden by his head.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
It would be almost impossible to tell how many Olympic passengers are still alive. Given that she was in service until the 1930's, passengers could have sailed on her and still 'only' be in their 80's, so it's not that much of a stretch. In terms of actually contacting them if that's the goal, the best bet would probably be to advertise somewhere and see if there's any response.

Cheers,
Adam.

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
You know, I was about to say that my great grandmother and great great grandfather took at least two trips on Olympic in the mid and then late 1920s; however, I then quickly realized that both my great grandmother and great great grandfather have been dead longer than I have been alive. :D