Olympic room for sale on Ebay

Remco Hillen

Dec 13, 1999
Mark Chirnside asked me to post to following message due to some computer problems from his end.

---------------------
Hi,

I thought this might be of interest:

I'm sure it will provoke a good debate!

Kindest regards,

Mark.
----------------

Could be Olympic but doesn't look specifically like the Smoking Room. The pattern of the Mother O' Pearl look different from the photos. The arched door looks too small for the Smoking Room. This could have come from a cabin instead.

I could be wrong. What does everyone else think?

Stu

Nigel Bryant

Jan 14, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Wow, this is awesome. Thanks Mark and Remco for posting this. I don't think though there was an arch door in the Smoking Room. There were arch surounds for the Mother of Pearl windows in the casing. There is another area where this "arched" panel could have come from, the two small partions which separated the two writing desks, port and starboard. But it certainly looks like Olympic's Smoking Room panelling, which was thought to be lost.

Nigel

J

Jake Angus

The pricing is obscene, in my opinion! I'm no antiques dealer but isn't it prudent to provide a certificate of authenticity when flogging something at this price? One should never use 'I think', or 'It's never been in books'if one is confident about what one is selling! That to me indicates a 'fast job'. What was it P. T. Barnum said?
eh.gif

A

Alicia Windsor

There's a sucker born every minute and we're gonna take him for all he's got.

Well, it was along those lines anyways. Wow. If that person wants to sell that room at that price, they'd BETTER be able to supply some proof... If I had that much money I'd rather spend it on additions to my Titanic library.

Jan 7, 2002
I think the arched door is more akin to the 1st class resturaunt...
If sections of this are indeed form the 1st class smoking rooom, then lets hope the amazing stained glass windows, and fireplace have survived...

tarn Stephanos

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
This is MY opinion, and MINE, ALONE; In NO WAY!!!! is this sanctioned by ET.

Now: I would be extremely careful about getting involved in a transaction of this nature.

First off, I don't think anyone, other than Bill Gates, has that sort of money to spend. Also, this should not be the sort of thing that would be auctioned off.
And, who is supposed to pay for the dismantling and shipping costs?

I'd be interested in knowing the location of this room, as well. If nothing else, somebody in the UK should be able to validate the location, and the items.

Also, the seller may be someone to be extremely wary of. However, I need to check at least one or two sources, first.

Right now, there are no bids, as most people checking eBay would have to take out a mortgage before they could pay the listed price. For me, the quoted price is 7 years salary.
Needless to say, I won't be competing with others on eBay.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Parks, I just sent Charlie an inquiry, through eBay. I will let everyone know, when I receive a reply.

I specifically asked "Question: Where in England is this room located? How far is it from either Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol, London, or Southampton?".

At least this way we'll have a good idea of where this room is.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I'm very weary of these type of transactions. Whoever decided the price is asking for way too much money. The finish on the paneling looks too "new" in my opinion and how would anyone know for sure that this is the real thing without a certificate of authenticity. As Jake posted above, it's only right to provide one.

I'm with Alicia, if I had that kind of money I'd use it to add to my Titanic collection as well.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Reply, just received:
"I can not tell where the room is since, from all the Titanic e-mails, need to have the owners private. But an expert said this room is unique. No one has heard of it.
If you have other questions if for a serious
bid can address those.".

My own thought: If I was brokering this type of sale, I'd have the full facts available: "Location, location, location", to borrow that catch phrase.

If any one wishes to inquire further, Mr. Sachs' email is listed on the eBay page.

Jan 7, 2002
At most I would guess the paneling value- at most to be in the $30,000 range, and even that is high..
I might even be less, who knows...

The price being asked is ridiculously high...

Olympic was very much like Titanic- but she was NOT Titanic, hence the sky high price is not warrented.......

I dont think Titanic wreckwood of that volume would sell for that ammount...

But then again, a mere boarding pass that belonged to a 3rd class survivor sold for $100,000 in 1999, but that was an anomaly....

tarn Stephanos

J

Jake Angus

I'd report this guy to Ebay for fraud.
alert.gif
He cannot provide a simple answer as to WHERE the room's located? Give me a break!
angry.gif

J

Jake Angus

I just reported him to Ebay as a possible fraud. Now I can eat my turkey with a good conscience.
wink.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
The general idea is that we should accept that this is the "genuine article", sight unseen.

This was another reply I received:
"This is a private sale.
I do not plan to give names and addresses
out, people then contacting them to make
deals, etc. I know now many people are,
especially in the Titanic community.
The pictures speak for themselves.
It is a treasure. How would you like it
if suddenly you got calls in the middle of
the night. Can I come see the room?
I appreciate your views and everyone is asking what city, etc. Respect what it is. A room of obvious beauty. I do not even think they have much history on it other than was installed in the house. If I can find out more would consider posting, if relevant. But for now, it is what it is."

I really cannot believe that someone would ask people to pay $350,000 for something that they only see in pictures, and not be able to review this place, themselves.

My advice: Don't bid on this auction. THAT IS MY OWN FEELING. It is not, and has not been, the opinion of this Board, nor its Moderators.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>The general idea is that we should accept that this is the "genuine article", sight unseen.<<

Translation: Don't ask too many questions and just take my word for it on account of "I sez so."

>>Respect what it is. A room of obvious beauty. I do not even think they have much history on it other than was installed in the house.<<

Translation: The owners either have no idea where it came from, or have no documentation to establish where it came from.

>> If I can find out more would consider posting, if relevant. But for now, it is what it is." <<

Translation: I can't demonstrate provenance but I'm going to stick to my guns and make the claim anyway.

>>My advice: Don't bid on this auction.<<

Not to worry, John, I wouldn't, even if I had the money. Something here doesn't smell right.

Disclaimer: The above is my own highly subjective and personal opinion, and does not represent to editorial position of Encyclopedia Titanica or that of the other moderators or members. I could be wrong, but I would like to see some verifiable evidence of provenance befor I change my opinion. If anyone wishes to bid, have at it, but Caveat emptor applies.

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi All!

I have viewed the paneling and agree that the inlay patterns differ from 1930's photos of the room. I also agree that the arch is too low; it does not appear to be 9' in height which was the ceiling height of the original room.

I also believe that the paneling is way too pristine for being 92 years old with 24 years of wear and tear to be authentic.

I agree with Michael, this auction gives no locations, no authentication, and no names - this looks like a fraud to me.

Best Regards,

Brian

N

Nicolas Roughol

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't such paneling be stamped with Olympic's yard number (400) at the back? I mean that's what we have all noticed from previous Olympic paneling and from Britannic (stamped 433) as well. Should this be genuine paneling from Olympic, the least the seller could do to try to prove his honesty would be to publish a picture of such stamp.

This bid has fraud written all over it. Not only this set of paneling, if authentic, wouldn't be sold anywhere but at a proper, non-virtual auction, it would also be properly authentified.

As for the price...the guy must have smoked crack while he was typing it.

J

Jake Angus

This is the response I received from Ebay today:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting eBay. I can understand your concern in this situation and I appreciate the opportunity to address your report.

I have reviewed your report and can assure you that we are investigating this matter and that we will take appropriate action. Such action may
include issuing a warning, a temporary suspension, an indefinite suspension or terminating the membership. Keep in mind that eBay uses a number of factors to determine when to take action. These factors include member reports, the seller's feedback profile status,
complaints filed through the eBay Fraud Alert system, and reports received from law enforcement agencies. Due to privacy concerns, we cannot discuss the details of any action taken. I hope you understand our policy and that it assures you that your personal account history will always remain private.

Thanks for writing in. It was my pleasure to assist you today. We thank you for being part of the eBay community.

Regards,

Dougal
SafeHarbor Fraud
What comes to my mind is how much Ebay stands to profit from a sale of this magnitude. Perhaps they're not too terribly interested in investigating a possible fraud that might earn them many thousands of dollars through the transaction.