Olympic room for sale on Ebay

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Tim, I received the same curt replies, as well, when I asked about the paneling last year. He just expected one to "take his word for it"; hardly something one would do, if they were supposed to "fork over $350,000" (last year's price).
Guess the seller will be mightily disappointed when he discovers that there is not a Carly Fiorena (now "brushing up her resume") or a "Bill & Melinda" out there, who might decide that $900,000 is "pocket change", in regards to that paneling.

BTW, I found it interesting to see how the price was increased three-fold by the claimed fact that it was due to the cost of re-installing the paneling and the exchange rate. I know the US dollar is weak compared to the Pound and the Euro, but I doubt it is to the point of $3 = 1 Pound.

Let's see if the paneling goes back on eBay next week.

Aidan Bowe

May 22, 2004
I have had an email in relation to a question I posed and the reply and it's gramatical errors was apalling! The guy claims to be " Charles Ira Sachs" Checked out the name on Google and it brings up a biog.He attended Indiana Uni,and was a consultant on "Raise the Titanic".Was historian on the joint US/French expidition to raise relics,and was also involved in the filming of the 91 dive for the IMAX project! He also appeared in the NBC mini series "No Greater Love" Now I can't say that I have heard of Charles Ira Sachs but I would put money on it that the guy on Ebay is certainly not him!! Does anyone on here know the genuine Mr Sachs and are able to inform him of this subtifuge? Whilst now not discounting the authenticity of the pannelling, I am discounting the "agent" "trying" to sell it.Would somebody clearly as well educated as Mr Sachs really place an ad on Ebay that was so poor gramatically??

adam gratwick

Oct 14, 2004
the note from the previous to current owner is interesting - it refers to some teak panelling that was in the Turkish Baths on the same ship as the mahogany panelling. does this mean that some more Olympic panelling is in the same house?

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
I would have to agree with the "experts" that this room is the real thing.... Please take a look at page 135 of Titanic: Triumph & Tragedy second edition. Take note that the inlay patterns are different in both photos of the smoking room.... In the THS photo of the closeup of the detail work next to the Men's lav, the central vertical inlays flanking the light fixture match EXACTLY to the pattern centered above the fireplace in the "Olympic Bedroom".... and most of the other panelling matches EXACTLY as well. (again note the THS close up photo taken prior to scraping that the detail work on the paneling with the light fixture matches exactly to the detail work surrounding the paneling in the Olympic Bedroom) Perhaps we were all quick to jump to conclusions on this one. At least portions of this bedroom I bet are in fact from the Olympic's smoking room. Photographic evidence and common sense don't lie.

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
Oops! I didn't mean my tone to sound degrading if it did, I think I got a bit too excited when I saw that they were in fact the same thing...

Sorry!

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
An update: I checked eBay, and the sale ended.
The starting bid, $965,000.00, failed to attract any bids, so the transaction failed.
We'll have to see if the room shows up at a future date.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I checked the eBay links; noted that the room was listed, again, in May 2006, but at a reduced price of $825,000. However, nobody bid on it, either.

I wonder what ever finally happened: did the owners give up on selling off that paneling??
We'll have to see if it shows up on another venue or if the paneling is passed on to a future owner of the house.

IMO, after four unsuccessful times it would be fruitless to place this on eBay, again, especially with an exceptionally high price that could only be possible if we had a scenario such as either one of our moderators, Mark or Jason, marrying J.K. Rowling and thus having unlimited use of her funds.
smile.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
...personally speaking that ain't gonna happen to me (marrying J.K. Rowling and thus having unlimited use of her funds).
Well then maybe there's hope for Mark Baber, Michael Standart, or our beloved Phil.
wink.gif
grin.gif

Again it will be interesting to see if the paneling is listed in some other venue.
Either that or the future seller of that house will truly have something to brag about, to entice buyers, as long as they don't try to price it equivalent with certain property tracts near the ocean here in Southern California.

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
Thanks Stuart. Very interesting. The listing isn't very cordial or inviting is it? Even if the seller had issues in the past with an eBay listing, to bring it all up again as the main subject of this new listing (years later) is odd, and discourteous to any new prospective buyer. The listing is very off-putting, and not worded well.

Interesting too that eBay was chosen (again) as a venue for these historic panels if the seller had such trouble with it before. In my opinion, these panels should be offered in a more secure and higher-profile auction company like Christie's or some such. If the seller was serious about selling the panels, wanted to offer them to people who actually have the kind of money being asked, and was honest and straight forward about their presentation, then this listing should appear quite differently ~ if indeed at all on eBay.

Just my 2 cents.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Interesting how the seller has not considered how realtors and agents do things: ensure the times and dates for things to be shown, whether vacant or furnished, either an OPEN HOUSE time available and/or pre-arranged times made.

And, YES, there are listings of homes for sale where it is explicitly stated "DO NOT DISTURB OCCUPANTS".
These people know how important owner privacy is to many people, and seem to know how to properly state this.

I, as one of the original BTSTs, will watch to see if anything occurs. I do not wish the sellers either good or bad luck; in fact, to be blunt (and this is my own opinion, and statement, simply posted here) I have no further thoughts at all; especially with the sour replies and statements put up by the seller representative, now, as was in the past.

Aidan Bowe

May 22, 2004
What strikes me about the person acting on behalf of the seller is that he is barely literate. Surely anyone, with an ounce of common sense would employ someone, who my grandmother might say, is "a sandwich short of a picnic"! What a shame because the room is clearly genuine and out there yet we can get no further details on it or it's historical importance.

T

Timothy Trower

Sachs listed this room in this manner just to get the collective goat of ET members.

Seriously.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Well, Timothy, he may have "gotten our goat", but I daresay he will have his next serving of "Crow" should this current outing fail; we will see what happens.