Olympic room for sale on Ebay

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I should also ask: "Presuming you know nothing about the previous events. What would you think after you read his eBay statement"?

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
Well I see that my previous posting here on ET has been lifted verbatim, AND then embellished with words I did not say, and posted as a question on the actual eBay auction. I really don't appreciate that. This is not the way to go about "proving" anything. I have done no wrong to anyone, and do not deserve to be "shown up" on eBay. How dare you whoever you are! It is this kind of activity that pushes people away from the legitimate Titanic community.

T

Timothy Trower

The lister of this auction is Charles Ira Sachs, former Grand Poobah of the ONRS (anyone out there still owed dues money?). I think I can say with certainty that he does not intend for this to sell -- that, at least, was the gist of a forwarded email that I received.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Jason, I am sorry to see this happened. I noticed the question posted on eBay did not even list a name. My first presumption was that it was a legitimate inquiry sent out, to be well-meaning.

This is a rotten incidence of some person copying your post and sending it to eBay, and the person did not have the decency to say something like "Myself and others noticed that..." or "This is how your ad was listed".
Sad, to be certain, as we know that since ET is a public site, one can probably copy our posts and use the texts.

If someone had a serious issue with Mr. Sachs, who has been "out in the public eye" in the 1980s and mid-1990s, they should have sent a more direct inquiry to him, and not make things worse by what was seen on eBay.

In the meantime, we should just sit back and see how this current auction proceeds.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Jason:

Well, look at the bright side. At least the questions are not written as poorly as the auction text ;)

Best,
Eric

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
True!
happy.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Another question, purely "of interest": the plan is supposed to be that whoever purchases the paneling will pay for having it taken out of that house, and moved around, say "On the Orient Express", in the route "London - Paris - Rome - Azores Islands - Mark Baber's residence - Jason Tiller's Office", before reaching the buyers.

Thus, I wonder about the comment made by the seller agent: "A commercial auction would not work since it would have to have some removed to present in the auction house as well as possible press for the promotion, not what the owner wants".
Strange that a phone/trunk call to a solicitor's office could not be done, to ensure that such "possible press for the promotion" would not occur, and all necessary precautionary arrangements made.
Guess the seller agent does not wish to work with Christie's or Sotheby's.

Jul 12, 2005
Charles Sachs has offered for sale two of the items I sold to him in 1980 or 1981 just before I moved from California back to Missouri. He is offering for sale the piece of Titanic carpet on a wooden plaque with engraved plate given to me by Edward S. Kamuda and a plastic holder containing two coins taken off a dead crewman and given to Selena Rogers Cook, and a slice of Titanic wood taken from a lifeboat seat support and given to me by Joseph A. Carvalho. As I pointed out in my email response to Ebay, THS has more coins in a similar plastic holder and a bigger piece of the Titanic wood (It turns on the lights in Joe Carvalho's Titanic model on display at the Titanic Museum in Indian Orchard, MA). In case this next item comes up for sale on Ebay, let me describe it. It is a "rudder ring" from Lifeboat No.6 used in the Fox movie "Titanic" and obtained by Richard P. Oden at the Fox auction in 1971. It was loose in the lifeboat and Richard Oden gave it to me. I had a large wooden plaque made for it, and included a framed 8 x 10 movie still showing Lifeboat No. 6 I got at the age of 10 from our local theatre when "Titanic" played there in 1953. There is an engraved plate that describes the "rudder ring". After many years deliberating, I think it might have been an oarlock. Robert H. Gibbons

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
"No Surprise": the latest auction ended: NO bidders. Literally, "Sorry, Charlie".

I wonder if he will try, again, to sell that paneling on eBay, sometime in the near future.

If I were him I would have a solicitor contact representatives from Christie's or Sotheby's, if he truly wishes that paneling to be sold.
(NO!! I won't be bidding on it, unless I win "Big Time!!" in the California Lottery).
grin.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

Sean Hankins

May 15, 2004
The Olympic Smoking Room Paneling is back. With a higher price now of course. Amazing how bitter this individual is after all the questions about its authenticity several years ago. It's not as if one would be skeptical spending six or seven figures to be told, "You can't have any contact with the owners of this house whatsoever. Just give me the suitcase full of money and and pray it's delivered."

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Needless to say, with about a day-and-a-half left, no bids have been submitted.
My bet is that this will, again, be a NO BIDS placed sale.

We'll see if the seller agent places the room on eBay, again. Especially as 4-15-2012 is about 18 months away.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Update: Auction over, no bids: 'None', 'nada', 'ex-nay'.

We'll see if this room paneling shows up for bid around April 2012.

Sean Hankins

May 15, 2004
I wouldn't count on it selling John. Obviously there is no real interest in selling it. If there were, there would be a much more realistic price tag, for one. Number two, the terms of the sale wouldn't read like a prelude to identity theft. "You can't have any contact with the real source of the room but if you give me your info and give me your money I'll take care of it and it'll show up when it shows up."

The whole auction reads as nothing more than a bitter individual spitting in the fact of this board and the community in general and basically reads as, "Part of the Smoking Room exists but you'll never see it. In your face."

Simon Koncz

Oct 10, 2010
ebay??? I saw it too. Sounds like its a Halleys comet, keeps coming round at regular intervals.

Christies, Sotherby's? nah lets go down the ebay route.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Apparently, Charles Sachs put the Room up, twice, on eBay, after this last sale failed.
"Third time was not a charm", either: NO bids were made.

Wonder if Mr. Sachs could be thinking of pitching the room idea to "Meg-A-Bucks" (Ms. Whitman), and hoped she'd secretly bid on it; won't happen now, I predict, as Meg won't be taking a new job, this January.

Let's see if the Room keeps getting re-listed.